VMware Communities
danmass733
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone give me some help?

Hello. I posted a question to the community on Dec. 14 about Error 1316 and not being able to install or uninstall VMware tools, but no one responded. I then decided to contact VM Support but was unable to do that because of a field that was grayed out and prevented me from filing a support request. I then posted a question to the community on Dec. 16, asking for help just sending in a support request, but no one replied to that, either. I'm hoping that some kind person will give me some help. Otherwise, my options seem to be either to pay for incident support or just live with the situation. I'm attaching my two posts below and hoping that, with your help, I'll be able to get this issue resolved. Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi danmass733,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble filing a support request. In the future, I recommend calling support at 1-877-4VMWARE and speaking to a Desktop Support Representative. They can usually help with any issue you may encounter trying to file a ticket.

In this case, we do have a knowledge base article that addresses this exact error: Installing VMware Tools in VMware Fusion fails with Error 1316

Try out those steps and let me know if you get stuck or if that fixes it for you.

-Eric

milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Error 1316.
A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\Windows\Installer\vmware.msi A common error message when trying to reinstall/upgrade a software program (like Vmware etc).
Here's a way to avoid getting it: This message usually means a previous installation of a software is getting in the way of the new installation. It's kinda nutty that this would cause a problem, but we live in a nutty world. The fix is to download a free program from Microsoft that will totally and completely remove the old software. Then the new version can load unimpeded. 
1. Download: Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Cheers, Yours Udin

danmass733
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that issue is solved now.

0 Kudos
danmass733
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, it's good to know about that program.

0 Kudos