VMware Communities
stevemaser
Contributor
Contributor

Can a new VM be created from a Ghost/Acronis archive file?

I've poked around a bit a the "VMWare Converter" app, but I'm not sure if it can be used for this...

I have my Vista and XP load sets saved as either Acronis or Ghost compressed files.

Usually, on a stand-alone PC (or with Ghost 12 and a bootcamped partition on an Intel Mac), I just boot from the CD, restore from these images, boot the computer and off I go.

Is it possible to do the same thing with Fusion?

I tried (for example) to boot a new VM with the Ghost 12 CD, but after booting that, it wouldn't see my USB drive with the Ghost image on it.

Suggestions? Is this possible?

Thanks!

- Steve

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I've poked around a bit a the "VMWare Converter" app, but I'm not sure if it can be used for this...

I have my Vista and XP load sets saved as either Acronis or Ghost compressed files. Usually, on a stand-alone PC (or with Ghost 12 and a bootcamped partition on an Intel Mac), I just boot from the CD, restore from these images, boot the computer and off I go. Is it possible to do the same thing with Fusion? I tried (for example) to boot a new VM with the Ghost 12 CD, but after booting that, it wouldn't see my USB drive with the Ghost image on it. Suggestions? Is this possible?

VMware Converter does have some support for working with Ghost and Acronis Images although I've never used VMware Converter with these types of Images.

If your talking about creating a Virtual Machine from a Ghost Image of a Physical System the answer is technically yes however it will most likely require a Repair Install of the OS to get it to function if you didn't properly prepare the image with Sysprep to accommodate the Hardware differences.

I use a custom built Windows Live CD based on WinPE to do my Ghosting and have no problem using it with VMware Virtual Machines in both Workstation and Fusion with either FireWire or USB External Hard Drives. With USB I just attach it to the Virtual Machine at the very start of the Boot Process and with FireWire it's a Shared Resource in OS X and I Map it to a Drive Letter once at the Windows Desktop from the Live OS CD. (On a Physical System I can access the FireWire directly when using the Live OS CD.

I use Ghost or dd in Knoppix 5.1 with Virtual Machine for varying reasons however I do not use Ghost in the Virtual scenarios nearly as much with the Physical scenarios because it just to easy to make a Archive of the Virtual Machine Bundle Package thus elimination the need for Ghost like when dealing with P2P scenarios.

0 Kudos
stevemaser
Contributor
Contributor

>If your talking about creating a Virtual Machine from a Ghost Image of a Physical System the answer is technically yes however it will most likely require a Repair Install of the OS to get it to function if you didn't properly prepare the image with Sysprep to accommodate the Hardware differences.

My Vista image is sysprepped (has to be).

>I use a custom built Windows Live CD based on WinPE to do my Ghosting and have no problem using it with VMware Virtual Machines in both Workstation and Fusion with either FireWire or USB External Hard Drives. With USB I just attach it to the Virtual Machine at the very start of the Boot Process and with FireWire it's a Shared Resource in OS X and I Map it to a Drive Letter once at the Windows Desktop from the Live OS CD. (On a Physical System I can access the FireWire directly when using the Live OS CD.

OK. I'll need to see if it was a question of settings or when the USB drive with the Ghost CD was "booting" in the VM setup.

- Steve

--

Steve Maser (maser@umich.edu) | Thinking is man's only basic virtue,

Desktop Support Manager | from which all the others proceed.

Dept. of Mechanical Engineering | -- Ayn Rand

0 Kudos