VMware Communities
SoundmanArt
Contributor
Contributor

Can You Run an Existing OS Partition as Virtual?

I have High Sierra and Sierra in a dual boot on 2 different partitions.  Can I use a VMWare product on the High Sierra OS to run the Sierra OS as a virtual system or do I have to install a "virtual" system from within VMWare?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

No, only windows on boot camp can be virtualized.  OSX has to be installed separately.

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

You could create a raw disk that points to the physical partition, as described here (requires the Terminal in the host):

VMware Knowledge Base

Then replace the VMDK - in the ordinary virtual machine you previously created - with the raw disk components: this should give a Boot Camp-like setup.

A possible problem that can arise is that the device name of the partition can change after reboots, so it is not guaranteed to work consistently; and it's also possible that it doesn't work at all with APFS disks/partitions.

BTW, we talked about this a long time ago, here on the forum, so there should also be some old posts you can search for...

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

... BTW, I tried to make a raw disk from my test USB DataTraveler Workspace SSD with macOS 10.14 Beta, but it didn't work (probably, it doesn't yet work with APFS)...

0 Kudos