VMware Communities
docmas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can VMware Fusion run 10.14 in Rosetta 2 mode in an M1 Mac?

I've read that there is no native M1 version of Fusion, yet when I upgrade to an M1 Mac at some point, can I still run my 32 bit apps with Fusion running in Rosetta 2 mode, running a virtual 10.14 machine?

Wasn't clear about Rosetta possibilities.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Fusion cannot power on any VMs on the M1 Macs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Short answer: no it won’t. An Intel based Mac is the only way you’re going to get a old macOS release running in a VM that supports macOS 32 bit applications. 

Rosetta 2 was never designed by Apple to provide emulation/translation of Intel code for anything other than user-mode macOS applications. As such it does not implement the full Intel instruction set architecture that would allow running of an Intel based operating system. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@scott28tt wrote:

While that is true right now, it is also true that work is underway for VMware Fusion to support the M1.
This will however not allow you to run intel based VMs, you will only be able to run VMs that are designed for Arm processors.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos