VMware Communities
ski123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can VMWARE Fusion have multiple guest operating systems?

I have VMWARE FUSION installed on my MACBook. I want to install 3 Linux boxes in this VMWARE FUSION.

I mean, three Linux operating systems (3 nodes) will be on VMWARE FUSION. Is this possible?

Please advise.

Thanks

S.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am building Oracle RAC system in my MacBook. I need to have 3 Linux nodes in VMWARE. I know for sure VMWARE SERVER can have 3 Linux operating systems.

That should be no problem. VMware Server however is End Of Life and doesn't run under OS X. So if I was you I wouldn't invest a lot of time in that product now.

>But since I bought VMWARE FUSION three months ago, I don't want to buy SERVER again if FUSION can have more than one Linux.

Server is/was a free product. No need to buy.

I have 4G RAM in my MacBook. My plan is 1G RAM for each Linux.

Linux is Oracle Enterprise Linux.

As the other person said, there's an amount of overhead per VM. As you are going to run linux guests, make sure that 3D acceleration is not enabled as it a) doesn't work under linux, there is no graphics acceleration driver that works right now and b) 3D acceleration uses by default another 128Mb per VM.

--
Wil

Contributing author at blog www.planetvm.net

Twitter: @wilva

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome at the VMware community forums.

Yes that certainly is possible.

If you want to run the machines at the same time, then you are limited by the amount of memory in your macbook.But you didn't say how much memory you have, nor did you mention what kind of linux guests (desktop or server for example) you are going to run.

But in its basic essence, sure you can.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
ski123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's good news. Thank you for the response.

I am building Oracle RAC system in my MacBook. I need to have 3 Linux nodes in VMWARE. I know for sure VMWARE SERVER can have 3 Linux operating systems. But since I bought VMWARE FUSION three months ago, I don't want to buy SERVER again if FUSION can have more than one Linux.

Please advise.

Thanks

S.

0 Kudos
Kenneth868
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Definitely possible running multiple vm but you should be aware of assigned RAM.

When assigning 1GB to vm it will take you more than 1GB of available RAM

to run the vm. The actual overhead I'm not sure your but you can make a try.

I used to run 3 to 4 vm at same time so recently I've upgrade my macbook pro

to 8GB Smiley Happy

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am building Oracle RAC system in my MacBook. I need to have 3 Linux nodes in VMWARE. I know for sure VMWARE SERVER can have 3 Linux operating systems.

That should be no problem. VMware Server however is End Of Life and doesn't run under OS X. So if I was you I wouldn't invest a lot of time in that product now.

>But since I bought VMWARE FUSION three months ago, I don't want to buy SERVER again if FUSION can have more than one Linux.

Server is/was a free product. No need to buy.

As the other person said, there's an amount of overhead per VM. As you are going to run linux guests, make sure that 3D acceleration is not enabled as it a) doesn't work under linux, there is no graphics acceleration driver that works right now and b) 3D acceleration uses by default another 128Mb per VM.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
ski123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much. I probably have to upgrade my MacBook RAM to 8GB then. I will do two nodes to start with.

S.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Well, if i remember it correctly then you only need to have 1GB during setup. (see also my "[install oracle on a centOS VM|http://planetvm.net/blog/?p=1353]" article over at planetvm.net, it might help a bit )

You could cheat and lower the amount of memory afterwards. I haven't checked here, but i think it will still work and if it is a development environment, then your databases will probably not be that huge either.

If RAC isn't a strict requirement then one Oracle server would work too.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Havw you thought about how you are going to create the shared disk needed for RAC? Fusion doesn't support shared SCSI virtual disks last I checked and you will need some kind of shared disk for a multiple node RAC configuration.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ski123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wil,

Thanks. I think I could cheat. This is just dev environment and db is very small. I just need to practice how to install RAC and make it work before we are going to production late this year. But RAC needs separate servers.

S.

0 Kudos
ski123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Technogeezer,

Thank you for reminding me. You are right, RAC needs shared disk. If the Fusion doesn't support shared SCSI virtual disks, I have to use VMWARE server? Please advise.

S.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Define "doesn't support"?

It's not in the user interface, no but most likely it will work when you set it up in the vmx file itself. I haven't tried it myself, so don't know.

Here's an article for setting it up on ESX: http://jmoracle.x10hosting.com/Oracle10gRAConESX35/index.html

If you want to set it up on windows/linux then I think VMware Workstation is a better candidate as VMware Server.

--
Wil

edit: Looks like it is possible as this article goes into the details of setting it up for a Sun cluster. http://thebsdbox.co.uk/?p=160

Still it doesn't say that it is supported, but it might be possible using the notes from down there.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By "not supported" I mean that it won't work. I tried this on Fusion and Workstation, and the configuration of a shared SCSI bus results in a error message and doesn't configure the devices as shared between the 2 VMs.

I did try this a while ago, so I don't know if recent Fusion versions have changed this behavior. I haven't seen anything that says it has.

I was able to get around this by configuring an OpenFiler NAS VM as an iSCSI storage device that is visible by both Oracle virtual servers.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ski123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Technogeezer,

I am confused. I only need one VM which will include 3 Linux servers. Not two VM. Why do I need two VMs? Please advise.

Thanks

S.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I only need one VM which will include 3 Linux servers.

You could do that, but it's not at all clear that's what you want. Just like a physical machine can only run one OS at a time -- even though you might have 3 OSes on the disk(s) and be triple booting -- a virtual machine can only run one OS at a time. If you want to run three instances of Linux simultaneously, you need three virtual machines.

Not two VM. Why do I need two VMs?

Technogeezer is saying that if you want a shared disk, you need one more virtual machine to provide that shared disk. In other words, you'd have your 3 Linux virtual machines plus 1 OpenFiler NAS virtual machine.

0 Kudos
Ric_D
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think everything you need to know is right here.

I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my list of things to do Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ski123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much, everybody. I will try it. First, I will try Oracle data guard, then RAC

S.

0 Kudos