VMware Communities
larryb227
Contributor
Contributor

Can I use a Utility from XP on the Mac side?

I have FastStone Capture on Windows XP using Fusion.

Can I use FastStone on the mac side also? If so how?

Thanks

Larryb

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have FastStone Capture on Windows XP using Fusion.

Can I use FastStone on the mac side also? If so how?

No because it is a Windows application and only run under Windows.

On the Mac side you can use Grab (/Applications/Utilities/Grab) or use the following...

Built-in Mac Screenshot Commands

Key Combination - Result

CommandShift3 - Capture entire screen and save as a file.

CommandControlShift+3 - Capture entire screen and copy to the clipboard.

CommandShift4 - Capture dragged area and save as a file.

CommandControlShift+4 - Capture dragged area and copy to the clipboard.

CommandShift4 then Space bar - Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and save as a file.

CommandControlShift+4 then Space bar - Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and copy to the clipboard.

Note: When you do a Screenshot that saves to a file it's placed on your Desktop as "Picture n.png" (Where "n" is a number.)

0 Kudos
larryb227
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input Woody.

If you have ever used FS, every thing else comes up short in comparison. It is by far the greatest Capture software I have ever used.

Hope they make one for the Mac someday.

Being able to notate/highlight your capture so conveniently is the best.

Oh one other feature is that I can capture a scrolled window. Can't do that with Grab

Larryb

0 Kudos
DannoXYZ
Contributor
Contributor

Check out SnapzProX from Ambrosia software: http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

0 Kudos
larryb227
Contributor
Contributor

I took a look at this software but did not download the trial yet.

From what I can see it is centered on making movies and I don't think you can easily edit after capture.

Thanks for the input.

Larryb

0 Kudos
DannoXYZ
Contributor
Contributor

This package actually started out in 1986 purely for screenshots. What I do with it is either capture to a file to save. Or I capture to clipboard and paste into my favourite graphics editor, typically Photoshop. I really like its ability to capture customized areas of the screen, like a single window or any selection you choose. This saves me one crop operation in Photoshop later.

What is it you're trying to do anyway? As in the end-result, the path of specific steps will be different than the equivalent Windows environment.

0 Kudos
larryb227
Contributor
Contributor

The main things that separate this from all the others I've checked it that I am able to capture a scrolling window or a log file that is longer than the visible window.

The next thing that separates from others is that after any capture I just click on "Draw" and it goes to an internal program that allows me to highlight areas of interest or modify the capture item in many ways. Really neat.

It captures just like any other program but with these added features. The highlighting and adding arrows etc is very handy if you are trying to show someone specific areas in an other wise busy capture.

Larryb

0 Kudos
DannoXYZ
Contributor
Contributor

If you're capturing scrolling website windows, try this package:

For editing, I still use Photoshop, even on the PC side. The multiple layers and text-editing lets me make mods or multiple versions of the same screenshot later very easy. Usually because they go to different people.

Another thing you can do is "Print to PDF" on long pages. The built-in Preview program lets you write annotations and highlights on top of the PDF file.

0 Kudos
larryb227
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have Windows available on your Mac? If so go here and try it. http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

You'll see what I mean.

I'm sure there are work arounds but that gets too complicated when I just click and edit and send, all in one program.

Maybe I can coax FastStone to make one for the Mac.

Larryb

0 Kudos