Richryd
Contributor
Contributor

Can I run 2 Mac OS rather than a Mac OS and Windows?

I would like to run 2 Mac OS at the same time. And both are already in my Mac on separate drives.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

I'd really like to help, but I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for.

Is it about licensing, running multiple VMs on VMware Fusion, ...? Please clarify.

André

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Fusion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

The answer is Yes and No.

Yes, you can run multiple versions of macOS via VMware Fusion, that's not a problem at all.

No, you cannot run your already installed versions of macOS within VMware Fusion. You have to create new copies of the version of macOS that you want to run in a virtual machine.

For a Windows bootcamp setup there's a special exception where you can run the virtual machine from a physical partition, this does not exist for macOS.

If you want to migrate apps and data from your physical macOS to the virtual one then that can be done.

Beware though that there are certain limitations to virtual versions of macOS, such as that there is no 3D hardware acceleration.

Hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos