VMware Communities
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can I rename my "Boot Camp Partition" VM to "BCVM"?

Can I rename my "Boot Camp Partition" VM to "BCVM"? I've looked in the settings window but I don't see an option to rename the VM.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While you can rename most virtual machines (there currently is no UI), I think the Boot Camp partition is special cased and can't affect it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

While you can rename most virtual machines (there currently is no UI), I think the Boot Camp partition is special cased and can't affect it.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So ... how can I rename my non-BootCamp VM? Whenever I open a VM in Fusion 1.1.3, the library window shows either the .VMWAREVM or the .VMX file name. So renaming the file doesn't do much. Is there some kind of command line utility to do this?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the .vmx file is a parameter "displayName" - changing this should change the Library entry.

Fusion 2.0 (currently in beta, free upgrade for 1.x customers when finished) lets you change this directly from the Library, no delving into the .vmx file.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the .vmx file is a parameter "displayName" - changing this should change the Library entry.

In Fusion 1.x the .vmx file parameter mentioned above does not effect what is displayed in the Virtual Machine Library window List.

In Fusion 1.x the Virtual Machine Library window List is controlled the name of the Virtual Machine Package's Name as it shows in Finder or in the case of an unbundled Package the name of the target Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file as it shows in Finder.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So ... how can I rename my non-BootCamp VM? Whenever I open a VM in Fusion 1.1.3, the library window shows either the .VMWAREVM or the .VMX file name. So renaming the file doesn't do much. Is there some kind of command line utility to do this?

The following is based on Fusion 1.x

Are talking about the Virtual Machine Library window's List Name or the Virtual Machine's Display Name? Note: In Fusion 1.x the Virtual Machine Library window List is controlled the name of the Virtual Machine Package's Name as it shows in Finder or in the case of an unbundled Package the name of the target Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file as it shows in Finder.

Virtual Machine Library window List Name: Change the Name of the target Virtual Machine Package in Finder.

Display Name: Change the displayName = "Virtual Machine Name" setting in the target Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file.

By default normal file based Fusion Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder. Note: Depending on OS ver. and or Fusion ver. there may be a .localized after Virtual Machines although by default it is not visable in Finder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (a.k.a a Bundle or Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP"

You can view the Package Contents of the "Windows XP.vmwarevm" folder by ctrl-click (or right-click) the "Windows XP" icon and select Show Package Contents.

Then you will see the collection of files that comprise the Virtual Machine.

You would ctrl-click (or right-click) on the "Windows XP.vmx" file and select Open With > Other... then in Choose Application choose TextEdit.

Note: This should be done with the VM shutdown and closed and not suspended

Also have a look at: VMware Fusion menu > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Using the VMware Fusion Interface > Using the Virtual Machine Library Window

flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I'm talking about the name of the machine shown in the Library window. I've tried renaming the .VMWAREVM file, but the name displayed in the Library includes the file extension. Could that be because I have Finder configured to display file extensions?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Could that be because I have Finder configured to display file extensions?

Yes! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos