VMware Communities
lsh08
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can I read/retrieve data from a windows vm?

is there a way to retrieve data from a vm?    

I posted previously where I can't open my windows application because it wants me recover corrupted trash, but I can't select the yes or no to move forward.

I'm wondering if I can get the data off the VM in some way and I can create a new VM and copy in the data I need.       There's really just a couple of files I could use.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The answer is yes, sure you can.

1. If your VM still runs then install VMware Tools and enable sharing. (Virtual Machine menu -> sharing)

2. If you can't access your VM, then you can still access is by booting from a live CD and using file sharing features from that live CD.

3. Or if you can't access your VM, then you could also attach the virtual disk to another VM and use any of the sharing features offered by that VM.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lsh08
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

apparently the answer is 'no'.    Do a windows backup to your mac drive and/or snapshot your virtual machine if you want to protect your instance.

I am doing Google backup and sync as well.       The instance isn't a big deal, and most of the time I save to the mac side, but I have a few files that I'd like not to loose.

0 Kudos
peetz
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Greetings,

what you can always do is

1. Power off (or take a shapshot of) the corrupt VM

2. Create a new VM and install a matching Guest OS in it

3. Attach the corrupt VM's disk to the new VM

4. Access the corrupt VM's disk files from within the new VM

This might be a lengthy process, but it even works when the corrupt VM is unbootable, and you do not have a backup of it.

Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The answer is yes, sure you can.

1. If your VM still runs then install VMware Tools and enable sharing. (Virtual Machine menu -> sharing)

2. If you can't access your VM, then you can still access is by booting from a live CD and using file sharing features from that live CD.

3. Or if you can't access your VM, then you could also attach the virtual disk to another VM and use any of the sharing features offered by that VM.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos