VMware Communities
WardC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can I migrate my MacBook Pro account to a Lion guest?

I'm running Fusion 4.1.3 on my Mac Pro running 10.6.8.

Since I'm about to upgrade my MacBook Pro from Lion to Mountain Lion, I thought it would be handy to have a Lion system available for occasional testing.  So I created a new Fusion virtual machine on which I did a fresh install of Lion (10.7.4).  This vanilla system seems to be working fine.

Now I'd like to migrate my primary MacBook Pro account to my virtual Lion machine.  I can run Mac OS X Migration Assistant in my Admin account on virtual Lion. But there doesn't appear to be a straightforward way for Migration Assistant to see my MacBook Pro running in FireWire Target mode.

I can make the Target mode drive a Shared Folder, but Migration Assistant is looking for an external FireWire HD.

Is there a way to migrate my MacBook Pro account to a Lion guest?

-- Ward

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

The trick is to give the guest access to the previous install - the cleanest way to to that is to clone your system to an external drive, then connect that drive to the guest at startup - otherwise the migration wizard may try to migrate the OS that's running Fusion (and I'm sure recursive migrations isn't a good thing!).  Then you can use the migration wizard.

0 Kudos