VMware Communities
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can I install two guest operating systems (Windows/MacOS) in VMWare Fusion 8?

I have a mac and I am running VMware Fusion 8 with the windows10 as a guest operating system. I would like to also install the last version of macOS (HighSierra) as a new guest. Is it possible? If so, please, explain me how can I do this and how I define the guest I want to start each time I turn on the VMware.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You can do this with Fusion, just not with version 8. If you want to run High Sierra as a guest, only Fusion 10 is supported.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You can create as many virtual machines (guests) as you want (and have hard drive space for!). 

You only power on and run the ones you pick when you launch Fusion.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hey Daphnissov,

I'd say that a High Sierra guest works OK on Fusion 8.5.9 (it works here at least), but as you say it isn't officially supported.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Good to know, although I had a heck of a time getting an early version installed in my Fusion 8.5 instance running under Sierra.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Fusion 8.5.8 added some extras in that respect.

This never made it into the official release notes though, but was mentioned here at the forum by VMware employees.

Re: Fusion 8.5.8 "This release includes some bug fixes and security updates."

also see this walkthrough for Fusion 8.5.7

Test Driving macOS 10.13 High Sierra on VMware Fusion 8.5.7 - VMware Fusion Blog - VMware Blogs

and this statement about 8.5.8

Re: VMware Fusion for Mac 10.13 High Sierra Support

So yes you might have had a bad time trying to get it to install before 8.5.8.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
renatob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. But I need to know how to do this. I only installed once (Windows) and I did it at the same time that I instaled the fusion. Could you please explain to me how?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Open Fusion.  Click the button to "Create a new virtual machine".  Follow the Wizard.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

While Robert is correct, perhaps the following Knowledge Base article might give a tad more tips:

VMware Knowledge Base

This is for an older version of macOS, but the steps are the same.

--

Wil

0 Kudos