VMware Communities
nesen
Contributor
Contributor

Can I get my files from VMWare Fusion 8 via VMWare Fusion 12?

Hi, 

My VMWare Fusion 8 got deleted while updating macbook and I could not reopen it. So I downloaded VMWare Fusion 12 but it does not open and gives the warning saying : 

"Cannot open the disk '/Users/nesencelik/Dropbox/My Mac (nesen MacBook)/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 10x64.vmwarevm/Virtual Disk.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Module 'Disk' power on failed.

Failed to start the virtual machine"

How can I fix it on Macbook Big Sur?

And also I am trying to get my files from the old version. Is there any way to do it? Will I have my files on the new Fusion 12 program?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@nesen 

Moderator: Please try and create threads in the area for the product used - moved to Fusion Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This error means that the copy you have of your VM is not complete.

It is missing parts of the virtual disk and as such it can not start.
Do you still have the original?
(Please note that backups of virtual machines in Time Machine are not reliable and as such cannot really be trusted to be complete)

edit: I now see the path is under a dropbox folder. NEVER put your VM in a drop box folder (or similar cloud service) These services cannot deal with virtual machines and will corrupt your virtual machine.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos