VMware Communities
tonyatcolumbia
Contributor
Contributor

Can I decrease the size of a virtual disk?

Hi all:

I've been working with a WinXP guest for over two years without problems. Recently, I've found that my 35GB HDD allotment was too low.

I should also mention that GuardianEdge encryption software is running on the original virtual HDD.

Without doing the proper research, I shut down the machine and increased the size of the virtual HDD to 200GB. When I restarted the guest, the disk increase was not recognized. (I only now realize I should have added a separate disk to add space, not increase the original partition.)

I searched the forums and found some solutions suggesting using third-party software to fix the partition problem. I've tried both the EaseUS Partition Manager method as well as the VMX Extras/Gparted methods and neither are working.

The EaseUS software allows me to stretch the original disk over the unallocated space but fails when trying to apply the change. The Gparted loads, but does not recognize the file structure of the original disk partition. Neither will allow me to successfully stretch the partition.

Anyone know of a way to Is there ANY way to go back to the original 35GB allotment and create a SECOND HDD to add extra space? I don't want to lose the 165GB we added.

HELP!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If the disk isn't pre-allocated then you haven't lost any space other then a few MB so it's nothing to worry about, just add the second disk or if you want to expand the partition then remove the encryption software or contact Symantec for how to proceed in a use case scenario such as this.

0 Kudos