VMware Communities
lotuseater
Contributor
Contributor

Can Fusion virtual machines network together?

I am a VM newbie. I have used VMware Workstation on a Windows machine previously and it allowed me to create the virtual machines and they could communicate with each other in their own network environment. My main use for Virtual Machine products at present is a virtual "lab" of networked machines to work on certifications and experiments. I prefer Mac and am considering getting Fusion. With Fusion, if you install a few servers and windows/linux desktops as virtual machines, can they all communicate with each other as if they were networked together?

I know the suggestion would be to download and install and try it. But, I thought that maybe I could get some info here. I have searched all over the internet but can't find the answer to my question. Any information would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

With Fusion, if you install a few servers and windows/linux desktops as virtual machines, can they all communicate with each other as if they were networked together?

Yes.

0 Kudos
victory
Contributor
Contributor

I thought you might also like a reply from another end-user.

Yes, Fusion would work great for what you describe. You can have your running VMs and host Mac all tied together as if they were on a single network.

In this regard (running multiple networked VMs) the two immediate differences between the Workstation product and Fusion for the Mac are:

- Fusion currently doesn't offer the 'teaming' feature that Workstation does. Which essentially means that you have to manually start up the multiple VMs you want to use together. While teaming would be a convenient feature to have, it's not a big deal (for me). Clearly, it's a feature more suited for developers and seems a bit more appropriate for Workstation rather than Fusion.

- Fusion doesn't easily (i.e. using the GUI) allow you to have detailed control over multiple network interfaces for each VM. If you intend all your VMs to be networked together as if on a common LAN segment, then no problem. On the other hand, if you're testing a VM that will straddle two distinct virtual network segments (e.g. you're testing a VM acting as a firewall) and you need to specific control of the network parameters for each interface, you're going to have to manually edit a few config files outside of the GUI. Again, unless you have specific requirements such as the aforementioned firewall example, Fusion's available networking options should work just fine for the majority of scenarios where you need to connect multiple VMs.

0 Kudos