VMware Communities
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cable Connection errors since upgrading to VMWare Fusion 5

I upgraded to VMWare Fusion 5.0.1 and since have been having problems.  I use a program on Windows XP that requires a connection to the internet.  The program is set up to function for 8 hours.  However, since upgrading, the program continually shuts down.  I get error messages such as "A network cable has been disconnected", "A network cable is unplugged", and "Error connecting to main server". 

I do not seem to have problems getting and sending email.

Hopefully someone here can come up with a solution to this problem.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
xiaofeiyn
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem "Network cable unplugged" Win XP SP3 on Fusion 5.0.1(825449).  How to solve it ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can try uninstall vmwaretools from xp's control panel, then re-install it back from Fusion.

You need to restart xp vm between that.

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Uninstalled VMWare Tools, restarted, re-installed Tools and restarted.  This didn't solve the problem.  Sure wish I could get a fix.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Check out that your VM's Settings window:

Ensure that "Network Adapter" panel is "On" status.
That means this network adapter is connected to your VM.

Also try to switch the Internet sharing options.
Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I checked "Network Adapter" and it has been "ON".  It has been set to NAT.

Where do I find "internet sharing"?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

NAT is one of the internet sharing option:

NetAdapter.jpg

So now your network is always down? shows Disconnected status without any reasons?

Could you please check the driver from Device Manager in your guest XP vm, is it OK and no exclamation mark with the network adapter?

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So now your network is always down?  No, my network isn't always down.  The program in question will run for about an hour and then gets disconnected and shuts down.

shows Disconnected status without any reasons?  It just shuts down with an error message that "a network cable has been been disconnected" or a network cable is unplugged", or "error connecting to main server".  The following error also occurred recently, "Error connecting to Decison Support Server on 127.0.0.1:2210.  The attempt to connect was rejected."

Could you please check the driver from Device Manager in your guest XP vm, is it OK and no exclamation mark with the network adapter?

Network adapters show no exclamation marks.

When it goes "south" for me, I know it if my sound is up.  I hear a big sound.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

So, those error msgs were not from your VM OS, you just got errors in this 'program', right?

After the 'program' got shutdown, the network in your VM is not working anymore? and shows what status or any errors??

Also, could you please collect and attach logs here, from VMware Fusion menu>>Help>>Collect Support Information" ?

Maybe this is a network issue of Fusion.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Try changing to bridged networking.

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried "bridged networking".  Got this message: 

Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address (**.***.**.121(.  Try connecting again later.  If you continue to have problems, change the P address of this computer or the IP address of the other device.  Contact the network administrator if you need more information.

I was not able to access the internet on the Mac side.

On the windows side, Local Area Connection

This connection has limited or no connectivity.  You might  not be able to access the Internet or some network resources.  For more information, click this message.

Server not found. 

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Have you rebooted boot the Virtual Machine and the Host since changing it to "Share with my Mac" after my reply to you, Re: networking broken on 5.0.2??  If not try that by shutting down the Virtual Machine from within the Guest OS, not suspending it, close VMware Fusion and reboot the Mac.  The run the Virtual Machine and see if you have connectivity then.

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Everything seems to be working fine.  Will have to wait until Monday to see if StreetSmartPro keeps disconnecting.

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Am still having problems in 5.0.1 with network.  I am getting quite frustrated because the application I am using needs to stay connected as it updates from my broker continously.  It is disgusting that everytime I look at it, it's down.

Error messages are still the same.  Once the program quits, I get a message "Error connecting to Main Server" and "Connection to trade server has been lost".  At the same time, at the bottom right of XP (where time of day is displayed) an error message pops up:  "Error connecting to Main Server" and "Connection to trade server has been lost".

I have used this program for quite a few years and never experienced problems until FMWare Fusion 5.   There must be a solution to this problem.

0 Kudos
Marjean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found what has been causing my network disconnect.  In the Mac, system preferences>energy saver>computer sleep:  I slid the slider for Computer sleep to never.  This resulted in no network disconnects for several days.  However, I don't want to run my computer with the computer never sleeping because it will shorten the computer's life.

I have dealt with Apple and they have determined that other than VMware Fusion, everything is fine.  And, that there is a problem with VMWare Fusion.

I am hoping with this additional info, someone can give me some help.

I am using fiberoptics DSL and my ethernet cable is plugged directly into a data jack, so I am always connected.  When the computer sleeps, it appears to be disconnected to the internet, however, immediately after waking the computer is again connected.  This has always been the case while working with VMware Fusion.

Now, since upgrading to 5.0.1, Windows seems to delay recognizing the connection too long. At least this is Apple's explanation.  That doesn't make sense to me because before the problem, I was running the same application that now shuts down when the computer wakes up.  I am so confused.  HELP!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Marjean wrote: However, I don't want to run my computer with the computer never sleeping because it will shorten the computer's life.

I have a MacBook Pro that has been on nearly 24/7/365 for over 6 years now, so how long do you want to keep a given computer before getting something newer? Smiley Happy  With the exception when I'm flying or driving the computer is on and I have it so it doesn't hibernate or sleep and it's still going strong.  I did upgrade the HDD after it was out of warranty so the present one has been used for over 3 years and the originally is still in use in an external Firewire enclosure although it is not always on.

0 Kudos