VMware Communities
egs
Contributor
Contributor

CPU usage after pause

I mainly use VMWare (2.0.4) on a laptop and it usually consumes 10-20% of the processor even when idle (running XP). To save power, I tried to use the pause feature with vmrun (from the Power User's Guide). The command does pause my VM. However, vmware-vmx still uses about the same amount of CPU cycles even when paused. Is there any way to really pause vmware-vmx?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

The only way is to kill the process......even though it is idle it will consume some amount of resources....

Anil Gupta

Don’t fear changes, its constant in life, reduce your ecological footprint……………………..Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

Looking for a Virtualization Solution, look here.....

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
egs
Contributor
Contributor

I'm hoping to get something similar to the "pause" button in Parallels; stop running a VM while keeping it in memory so that the CPU usage is

close to zero (just like when you suspend the VM but with a more or less instantaneous resume).

I was under an impression that 'pause' command in vmrun does the same

thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

there is a thin line of difference between pause and suspend. after pause and suspends is done and the VM is started the VM from the same point where it was halted. Now in case of pause, the execution of further commands are stopped momentarily thereby eating the resources..where in case of suspense, everything is coped to the respective files and resources are released. hope this clarifies...

Anil Gupta

Don’t fear changes, its constant in life, reduce your ecological footprint……………………..Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

Looking for a Virtualization Solution, look here.....

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos