VMware Communities
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CPU has been disabled by guest OS = NMI?

Just now I was playing with a new (for me) OS and I got a message the CPU was disabled by the OS which sounds nuts, isn't the CPU like basically the computer I thought. BTW, I'm not a programmer or developer or even trained —formally at least— in IT.

I searched around for this and got a couple of results asking for why this happened and a VMware article or two for causes, I'm not looking for that though; I'd just like to know what would be the equivalent in a real machine.

From what I gather it'd like a kernel panic in turn triggering a non-maskable interrupt, is that correct? It'd make so much more sense than the OS taking the CPU out of the way.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

MacOS version?

Fusion version?

Guest OS and version?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vitaprimo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I didn't think it was relevant, I'm using Fusion 11.5.6, macOS 10.14.6. Guest was some custom Debian-based type1 hypervisor, the message was shown when the OS asked to reboot (after becoming aware it would not be possible to install, it was sort of a controlled fail), that's why I'm not concerned or guessing what happened, I'm merely curious of what's what would've happened on baremetal.

Thanks for answering, BTW. 🙂

0 Kudos