VMware Communities
jj653
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

COM ports for Windows XP

Hi,

I'm fairly new to using Fusion. I have a USB<-->Serial converter for programming microchips. When plugged into the USB port on my Mac, the device is recognized in VMWare Fusion as COM 16. I have two Windows programs I use to program the chips. One is able to see and access COM 16 just fine. The other only sees COM 2 and COM3 (which are not the USB-Serial device. When I boot into Bootcamp, Windows XP registers the USB-Serial device as COM3 and both programs work. My hunch is that the program doesn't look as high as COM16 when seeing what ports are available because it is unusual to have so many devices attached. When I looked through the Device Manager in Windows XP (through VMWare), it listed COMs 1-15 as 'reserved' although I couldn't find any specifics on what they were reserved for our that they are currently in use.

So my question is, is there a way, either in Windows XP or in configuring Fusion, to set the USB device that is forwarded to Fusion as a COM port in the low range (maybe 1-4)?

Thanks!

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't see any Com ports reserved in Device Manager within my XP VM under Fusion. Maybe you could try uninstalling them, after taking a snapshot if necessary?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ClayMon
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I don't see any Com ports reserved in Device Manager within my XP VM under Fusion. Maybe you could try uninstalling them, after taking a snapshot if necessary?

0 Kudos
jj653
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The ports were not listed as devices so I wasn't able to remove them but I tried setting the USB-serial device to COM3 (which was listed as 'in use') and it asked if I was sure because it could mess up something else. 'yes'. and it works fine. thanks!

0 Kudos