VMware Communities
CostaRico
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

COD Warzone cannot start because GPU "Microsoft Basic Render Driver" is not supported

Hello,

I am running VMware Fusion on a Macbook Pro (Virtual OS is Windows 10x64). I am using it to play games. Just wanted to start COD: Warzone but it gives me the following error:

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 15.22.55.png

Would be amazing if someone can help me out here!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ,

This game requires a DX12 compatible graphical card per the minimum requirements.

However, Fusion 11.5.x supports the DirectX in Windows guest up to version 10.1, so it does not meet the minimum requirements of this game unfortunately.

Regards,

-Rick

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Have you installed the VMware Tools in the guest?

0 Kudos
CostaRico
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the hint, I just did! No I receive the following error:

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 18.28.28.png

Do you have an idea what the problem might be? Thanks so much for your help!RDPetruska

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi ,

This game requires a DX12 compatible graphical card per the minimum requirements.

However, Fusion 11.5.x supports the DirectX in Windows guest up to version 10.1, so it does not meet the minimum requirements of this game unfortunately.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
dave20212021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a similar situation - wondering if now in June 2021 if we can run COD on a Mac with VMware Fusion 12.1.2

I have a Big Sur 2019 Macbook Pro with the 1.4 GHz Core i5, Graphics is Intel Iris Plus 645 - I know, weak. 

But can we run COD on this setup with an external GPU via VMware+Win10?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

eGPU support in Fusion rocks!  I was able to play dragon age insurrection with mine.  Just make sure you have the eGPU plugged in before you launch fusion or boot the guest.

0 Kudos
dave20212021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

awesome!  thank you so much.  I want to play COD, fortnite, and minecraft with my kiddos who are on PS4.  We tried playing Minecraft via Fusion, and it would load, but the graphics chip is.... not able to keep up.  It was unplayable.

What kind of eGPU did you buy?  any recommendations as I'm shopping?  Thank you again!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I had a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079RMJDN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WC7683C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 as the card.

Right now finding either an enclosure or a card is a real problem, and prices are absurd.  I actually sold mine on eBay knowing I was going to upgrade to an M2 mac later this year (and they don't support egpu's).  I do miss it in the meantime :-).

0 Kudos