VMware Communities
jrbuscs
Contributor
Contributor

CLIENT, configuration to access only

😄Hello all,

Looking for a way to ONLY vmware 12 fusion client access the internet, to site test purpose.

Is it possible to lock a mac wifi internal (NOT a external usb wifi card) to ONLY work with vmware fusion CLIENT?

so Apple machine (browser an d other softwares..) can NOT access the internet, from wifi.

If I decide to use Mac machine software ( browser, app, etc) I plug it into a ethernet cable, Without mess with my firewall rules.

Thank's a lot !😎

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is it possible to lock a mac wifi internal (NOT a external usb wifi card) to ONLY work with vmware fusion CLIENT?

so Apple machine (browser an d other softwares..) can NOT access the internet, from wifi.

Not really, no. There may be some hacky way to accomplish this (using an outbound firewall and some creative rules and routes maybe?), but basically you're going against the Host/Guest relationship. The Host (i.e. your Mac) has total control of the Guest (i.e. your VM), and the Guest doesn't know it's a Guest. The Host needs Internet to provide it to the Guest. This is all how the layers of abstraction are assembled.

What you _could_ do, even tho you said no, is use a USB network adapter and pass it to the Guest.
I don't know of a way to pass the entire built-in WiFi adapter to a Guest tho, only ones connected via USB.

Why bother doing this tho?

If it's just you on the system, I don't understand what benefit your Guest (or your testing) gets from your Host not having networking.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

This is possible, at least on Windows and Linux hosts... I'm not sure on Mac hosts, since Apple in their infinite wisdom decides to hide any kind of advanced settings from their users.

Basically, you need to disable TCP/IP from the host NIC settings, and only enable the VMware Bridge Protocol.  That way, the virtual machine will have network connection using that host NIC, but the host will not.  

@Mikero there are plenty of use cases for wanting to do this... Kiosk mode; having a safe host while the guest (which can be easily restored if it gets virus/corruption) has the exposure; using a VM as a firewall/router.  See Ulli's page on a transparent bridge for an example.  http://www.sanbarrow.com/transparentbridge.html

jrbuscs
Contributor
Contributor

HI ,

Thank's to share your knowledge, in linux how can this be done? can you explain more?

Do you think use the same way in any other unix system?

the transparent bridge VM, is not unsafe for kiosk machine?

Thank 's

0 Kudos