VMware Communities
jdbasho
Contributor
Contributor

CD drive in Fusion -missing file?

I just tried to use my CD drive in Fusion 1.1.3 and when connecting the drive got the following error box:

"The ISO image "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/antivirus.iso" does not exist. Enter a valid filename"

The virtual machine appears to connect to the drive, but I when I put a disk in, it doesn't see the contents. Also, Windows does not eject the disk, but the Mac eject button does

I was on version of 2.0 previously, but downgraded to 1.1.3 using directions in the forum a few months ago due to performance issues with 2.x. I don't think I've use the CD drive in Windows since then, so I don't know if there's any connection.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John Dean, Rochester,NY

Vmware Fusion Version 1.1.3

Windows XP Pro SP3

MacBookPro3,1,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Trendnet Wireless G Router

John Dean, Rochester,NY Vmware Fusion Version 1.1.3 Windows XP Pro SP3 MacBookPro3,1,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Trendnet Wireless G Router
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

From the Kown Issues section of thre Fusion 2.0.0 Release Notes

• The McAfee anti-virus ISO remains mounted.
    If you start the installation of McAfee VirusScan Plus, the McAfee ISO remains mounted, which can lead to two problems.

• If you cancel the installation and later try to install the bundled anti-virus again, either by clicking Install when the anti-virus prompt appears, or by selecting Virtual Machine > Install McAfee VirusScan Plus,
      nothing will happen. These commands actually mount the ISO, but leave
      the launching of the anti-virus installer to the autorun. Because the
      ISO is already mounted, the autorun is not triggered. To work around
      this, eject the mounted anti-virus ISO image by selecting Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Disconnect CD/DVD. Then select Virtual Machine > Install McAfee VirusScan Plus to start the McAfee VirusScan Plus installer again.

• Because the anti-virus ISO image is occupying the virtual CD/DVD
      drive, if you insert a CD/DVD on your Mac the CD/DVD will not be
      mounted in the virtual machine, even if you have set the CD/DVD drive
      to be attached to the virtual machine. To work around this, go to Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Use Physical Drive to force mount the disc.

0 Kudos
jdbasho
Contributor
Contributor

Use Physical Drive to mount the disk worked. I'm a bit confused about the other workaround: Virtual Machine: Install McAffee, etc. Perhaps this is a 2.0 feature, since it is not on my 1.1.3 Fusion menus. I do have use of my drive now, so I'm happy. I don't recall aborting a McAffee Install, or even attempting one for that matter, but the explanation makes sense, given the text of the error message. -John

John Dean, Rochester,NY Vmware Fusion Version 1.1.3 Windows XP Pro SP3 MacBookPro3,1,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Trendnet Wireless G Router
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Since you downgraded the only part that was really relevant was the very last sentence...

To work around this, go to Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Use Physical Drive to force mount the disc.

However I quoted the entire bit for completeness.

0 Kudos