VMware Communities
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Burn disc from a virtual machine?

It seems I am unable to burn a disc from my virtual machine. I searched around and apparently you have to add the disc drive as a SCSI device. So I edited the machine's .vmx file (could that file be any less organized!?) and changed every instance of ide0:1 to scsi0:1, but it seems Fusion changed it back to IDE.

So how do I set up a virtual machine to allow disc burning under 3.1?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

...and changed every instance of ide0:1 to scsi0:1, but it seems Fusion changed it back to IDE.

Normally Fusion only changes it back if you didn't quit Fusion before you edited the .vmx file.

It just meant the file was opened by Fusion during the time you edited it.

Just as a remark.

Whenever you handedit a .vmx file, make a backup copy before changing it, so you can go back if someone went wrong

Hope this helps,.

--
Wil

Contributing author at blog www.planetvm.net

Twitter: @wilva

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

...and changed every instance of ide0:1 to scsi0:1, but it seems Fusion changed it back to IDE.

Normally Fusion only changes it back if you didn't quit Fusion before you edited the .vmx file.

It just meant the file was opened by Fusion during the time you edited it.

Just as a remark.

Whenever you handedit a .vmx file, make a backup copy before changing it, so you can go back if someone went wrong

Hope this helps,.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Always make a backup. ALWAYS.

Anywhoo, Fusion's not changing it back now, but the settings window shows only one ODD, but the status bar when the vm is running shows two! And they seem to be duplicates.

And the guest still doesn't seem to have burning capabilities. (I am using ImgBurn in the guest and it keeps saying "no writers detected")

EDIT: Well I seem to be dumb because I forgot to actually connect the Physical Drive. Once I did that, ImgBurn detected a writer and it's burning. So the problem was probably "Close Fusion you idiot"

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well here's a bit of an extension: How would I do this for a Windows XP machine? I tried chaning ide0:1 to scsi0:0, but now the settings manager says "None" for CD/DVD and of course, the vm has no ODD now.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Always make a backup. ALWAYS.

Yes indeed, but not everyone thinks that way, so I keep on telling it Smiley Wink

EDIT: Well I seem to be dumb because I forgot to actually connect the Physical Drive. Once I did that, ImgBurn detected a writer and it's burning.

Cool, glad to hear that fixed it and it is not dumb, it happens to the best of us and helps you to remember to check this next time.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

XP does not have drivers for the SCSI-controller - so you must either add vmscsi-drivers if you use

scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic"

or LSI-logic drivers if you use

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How would I go about doing this? Creating the following lines in the vmx:

scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

scsi0:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

scsi0:0.fileName = "/Volumes/EXHD/2.iso"

Makes the Settings manager show no disc drive, so I'm not even worrying about drivers at this point. I can't even get the settings manager to recognize a disc drive!

But how would I get the drivers later on?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

do you have

scsi0.present = "true"

?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

DING DING DING

I have a SCSI ODD now! Yay! I've marked your stuff all as helpful Smiley Happy

The odd thing was Fusion warned me about drivers for SCSI in XP when I started up the machine, but there was no issue. I guess the VMware Tools took care of that because everything was detected right away.

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos