VMware Communities
amagine
Contributor
Contributor

Building a Better Unity

Is there anyway to customize the menu (VMWare Icon in Dock context) and/or Applications menu, for use in UNITY mode?

I am finding it clunky to quickly select applications, even just to use the Launch window which populates with many useless links in a chaotic disorder un-becoming of a mac app.

Is there a possibility to customize the Application menu in VMware at all? even just to provide a somewhat quick-links to Favourite programs, documents, files?

A contextual menu that is custmizeable in the dock even would be very nice.

Thanks!

Mars

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the launch apps window comes from Workstation, so there may not be much that can be done there.

However, since you can dock individual Unity apps, it shouldn't be too hard to write a script that would allow you to chose from a preselected list of apps.

amagine
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm, Yes I have been thinking of tinkering along these lines.

I own both Virtualization platforms, Parallels and VMWare, and Parallels seems to be quite ahead as far as "Window-less" mode and user interface is concerned.

I wonder if there is any way to bring the Windows Taskbar into the Mac Desktop. In parallels I like having it hidden under the Mac Menu bar, quite handy.

I'll give VMWare kudos for speed though, perhaps a little bit better "feel" and user "performance"

Mars

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I wonder if there is any way to bring the Windows

Taskbar into the Mac Desktop.

Yes, look for "unity.showTaskbar" in the release notes[/url] for directions on how to do this.

0 Kudos