VMware Communities
rachel
Contributor
Contributor

Bug report: VM crash when connecting phone

Text from the email support request I tried and failed to make:

Crash occurred while connecting a Nokia E70 to PC Suite installed on the virtual machine. Attached are the log file of the session and the core dump.

Trying again to see if it's repeatable...

Yes it is. It crashes while the app's system tray bubble shows "Found New Hardware... Nokia E70 USB Modem"

vmware.log files of both sessions attached. Other files, including large cores, on request.

\--

Rachel

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hi rachel,

Thanks very much for your patience while we get the support issue with Safari worked out.

I decoded your crash dump and shared it with our USB guru, and we believe this particular issue may be resolved with a fix in the next beta.

As soon as the next release is out, could you try upgrading and plugging in your device one more time? You shouldn't need to make any other changes to your virtual machine.

Again, thanks for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

0 Kudos
rachel
Contributor
Contributor

So when's the next beta? 😄

I actually resolved my issue by installing vmware player on my new linux box and moving the virtual machine onto there. I wonder if, by moving it back again, it would recur anyway; as the new devices have now all been found and set up by that instance. I wouldn't be surprised if that VM, in fusion, would now link to the phone quite happily. I'll try to remember \*not* to migrate that VM back to fusion, but to keep the original which hasn't yet successfully set up the device; just don't be too long with that beta. Smiley Wink

I kept the same UUID when I migrated the VM to linux. Hope that's not going to cause problems.

As (after all that) it turned out my phone didn't have a pending firmware update, the phone itself shouldn't present itself any differently next time it's tried.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Rachel,

We just released beta 3 which the USB lead believes will help address the problem you reported. Can you please download beta 3 and let us know how it goes?

Thanks,

Pat

0 Kudos
rachel
Contributor
Contributor

OK, it initially worked; the phone connected and the setup all completed and I could do stuff to the phone. But when I \*disconnected* the phone (after having quit the PC Suite software) the VM crashed in a similar manner to before. Appropriate logfile is attached. There's also a core file I can send/attach if requested.

The test was performed with debugging still enabled.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Hey, excellent! This is progress. Smiley Happy

The crash you hit this time was an internal logic consistency check (called an ASSERT). This one shouldn't be too hard to fix, and I'll pass it on to the USB folks.

(In addition, ASSERTs are disabled if you turn off debugging mode -- not that you should, but just wanted to let you know.)

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

I chatted with the USB developer, and the suggested workaround for the time being is to disable debugging checks in the VMware Fusion > Preferences menu.

A proper fix will be in the next release.

0 Kudos