VMware Communities
VirtualCircus
Contributor
Contributor

[Bug report] Bluetooth mouse and keyboard "connection lost" when Windows VM stopped

Shutting down a Windows 10 VM (Windows shutdown - not suspending VM or quitting Fusion), the host (MacOS 10.12.5) reports "connection lost" for mouse and sometimes keyboard. 

Often it (or they) returns after a moment, however sometimes they both never reconnect to the host.

Repeated switch off/on (with pause between) of the Bluetooth devices does not reconnect.

The iMac is Bluetooth-only for both keyboard and mouse, so the only recovery is a hard kill via power-button.

It happens more often if the Bluetooth device (i.e. mouse or keyboard) is still being used just after Windows "Shutdown" is selected.

Specifics:

• VMWare Fusion 8.5.7  - "Share Bluetooth devices with Windows" is checked
  • MacOS Sierra 10.12.5
  • iMac late 2015, 4GHz I7, 24GB memory, Fusion drive
  • Windows 10 VM
  • Bluetooth - stock Apple iMac keyboard & Magic Mouse 2

Any suggestions to diagnose (or missing information that I can supply) would be welcome! Killing the iMac with the power button is not healthy for it.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi VirtualCircus,

Would you please try the following steps to see if it helps?

• Shut down the MP
  • Unplug the AC cable
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 secs (I do this twice)
  • Replug the AC cable
  • Reboot
  • Immediately after the chime, turn off and back on any bluetooth devices

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
VirtualCircus
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you RickShu. I have done both the PRAM and SMC resets multiple times, without success. But in the meanwhile, it appears that they identified my initial problem, but introduced a new one.

After the most recent Fusion update, that gives the "CTL + CMD" shortcut to regain control when shutting down the Windows 10 VM, I am experiencing new (and worse) behavior. While Fusion is up, but VM is suspended, the Bluetooth feature intermittently becomes "unavailable". It is really a problem with an iMac, which only comes with Bluetooth "Magic" keyboard and mouse.

I believe (hope!) it is a known problem, and a fix will be forthcoming. I've seen several users reporting similar on another thread. I posted the step-by-step events of the most recent occurrence there ("Fusion 10 breaks bluetooth").

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi VirtualCircus,

Thanks for the feedbacks. Yes, we have gotten similar reports regarding the Bluetooth issue, and the development team is now identifying the root cause and figuring out the fix for this problem.

Regards

-Rick

0 Kudos
Crematum
Contributor
Contributor

This really needs to be fixed ASAP.  It's funny that this latest note from VMWare says they are trying to figure out the root cause when I have seen other posts from VMWare saying they know what the problem is and it has been fixed and will be available soon.  Makes me wonder if they even care about resolving this issue that has been going on for some time.

0 Kudos
VirtualCircus
Contributor
Contributor

Just allowed the iMac to sleep, after suspending the VM and quitting Fusion.

When attempting to re awake the iMac, the (Magic) keyboard and mouse are undetected. Only the USB keyboard and mouse allowed me to awaken the iMac.

I guess the "uncheck sharing of Bluetooth" option did not work.

Please let me know if you need more information.

colin

0 Kudos
Crematum
Contributor
Contributor

I have messed with all of the USB and Bluetooth options in VMWare and none of them seem to help lessen or resolve this issue.  Smiley Sad

0 Kudos