VMware Communities
sirris101
Contributor
Contributor

Bug in VMWare Fusion running on Leopard

I'm a Parallels convert running VMWare Fusion 1.1 (62573). Unfortunatly, since I did a clean install of Leopard and VMWare Fusion I've run into a very annoying glitch when running Fusion fullscreen. See, I run Fusion full screen about 99% of the time and use the keyboard shortcut Apple-H to hide Fusion and then use Apple-Tab to get Fusion to reappear. It's a handy way to use Fusion and Leopard on the same screen.

Unfortunalty, after I've hidden Fusion and then made it reappear, the menubar functionality breaks.

Attachment 1 is the normal behavior when you bring the mouse to the top of the screen. Attachment 2 is the glitch/bug. When I bring my mouse to the top of the screen the top right portion of the Leopard menubar appears and does not go away (even after moving the mouse away)! Infact, I am unable to click anywhere in the VM where the menubar would appear. This makes it near impossible to close windows or applications in Windows XP.

I wanted to report this bug so it can be fixed, but more importantly, I'd like to ask that users be able to toggle the Menubar functionality on and off. Frankly, I find it pretty annoying and would like to disable it. Despite this annoying bug, I love Fusion and have no reason to go back to Parallels!

sirris101

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you try some other fullscreen applications to see if they behave the same way?

0 Kudos
sirris101
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I would be happy to, but I don't think I have any other fullscreen apps installed? Can you suggest any? I will say that Parallels didn't do this when fullscreen on Leopard, but I don't think they use the menubar functionality the same as Fusion.

0 Kudos
Jim_Mead
Contributor
Contributor

Hi sirris101, I also run Leopard and Fusion 1.1 full screen most of the

time. I got the same results as you when I tried the Apple-H to hide full

screen fusion and Apple-Tab to get it back. I'm new at the Mac, so I didn't

even know about these short-cut keys until reading your message.

As a work around, you might try what I do - this works well and does not

have the menu bar glitch.

In Leopard's Spaces icon, right click, then click spaces preferences,

turn on spaces and add an application assignment for VMWare Fusion to use

space 2.

Now, when ever you start VMWare it will shift to space 2. Once it starts

up, make it full screen, Then you can shift directly between MAC screen

(Ctrl-1) and Windows (Ctrl-2) at any time. Works good and no menu glitch.

When I duplicated the menu glitch using Apple-Tab, flipping back and forth

with Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2 fixed the menu glitch, restoring the full, normally

hidden mac VMware menu bar.

Hope this helps,

Jim Mead (not a VMWare employee)

0 Kudos
sirris101
Contributor
Contributor

Jim, Thanks for the suggestion. The spaces method is a

good workaround for the time being. While it works, I do prefer the

method I use (which has the menubar glitch)

etung, I'd like to help get this bug fixed as it impeeds my working in Windows. Another solution would be to build an option to disable the menubar in

fullscreen mode. Parallels just leaves it off by default in

fullscreen, which is my preference; although they don't provide an option to turn it on, you have to leave fullscreen mode. Please let me know if there is

anything I can do to help with this.

Regards,

js

0 Kudos