VMware Communities
StevenAsherman
Contributor
Contributor

Bug in Remote Desktop Connection from VMWare Fusion using MacBookPro 2017

I've just purchase a new MacBookPro 2017 laptop to replace my fine old 2012 laptop. After pretty thorough testing, I've found only one VMware Fusion bug, which is its handling of Remote Desktop Connections. When I logon to my Windows 2008R2 server through Remote Desktop, the maximized screen has scroll bars, that is the screen size calculations are incorrect. On my 2012 laptop, a maximized Remote Desktop window NEVER showed scroll bars, and the desktop screen properly and completely fits. On the other hand, with the 2017 laptop, nothing I can do shows the whole Windows Server desktop. Scroll bars always appear and are always needed. This is a minor but annoying bug, because I must scroll around to use the server, rather than having everything nicely fit the screen. Since the MacBookPro 2017 is brand new, I'm guessing that VMware hasn't had a chance to do much testing with this fine new beast. Anyone else have a new MacBookPro 2017 who uses Remote Desktop?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VMware Fusion does not do anything in particular for Remote Desktop.

Did you install VMware Tools in your Windows guest?

Did you change your DPI settings in Windows to use say 125% instead of 100% DPI so that the letters are not so small?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
StevenAsherman
Contributor
Contributor

This was a very controlled experiment. I upgraded to the latest VM Fusion on a 2012 MacBookPro  15" laptop and a 2017 MacBookPro 15" laptop, I copied a Win7 VM from the 2012 to the 2017 laptop. Everything worked fine and exactly the same EXCEPT for the screen behavior in using Remote Desktop to connect to the same Win2008R2 server. The 2012 connection was perfect when the screen was maximized and the 2017 had a bug (scroll bars appeared and the full Win server screen required scrolling to be seen). I made NO changes at all between installing the VM copy and connecting through Remote Desktop, which in every other way behaved fine. So, I'm guessing that VMware needs to do some testing with the new MacBookPro 2017.

0 Kudos