VMware Communities
quietquake
Contributor
Contributor

Bug: Unity keyboard shortcut turns on Narrator in Windows 8 guest

I'm running a Windows 8 RTM guest on an OS X 10.7.5 (Lion) host. I recently updated to Fusion 5.

Steps to recreate issue:

1. Start Win 8 VM

2. Press control+command+U

Desired result:

This should switch the VM to Unity mode.

Unexpected result:

This does switch the VM to Unity mode, but also turns on the Windows 8 narrator, which describes the active element in the current window. Turning this off requires pressing control+command+U again to leave Unity mode, then closing the Narrator app in Windows 8.

Entering Unity through the Fusion menu performs as expected, without triggering Narrator mode.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Please take a snapshot of your vm before applying this workaround.

It basically disables narrator by removing the user permission to narrator.exe and giving it to the system

Disable Narrator shortcut key in windows 8   ( it has not been tested )

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

seems it is not working on Windows 8, i wana diable the shortcht of Win+Enter either without 3rd party software or modifying Regedit.

Or, map the Win+Enter to another action instead of run Narrator.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Have any one else tried this on windows 8 vm ?

My advise : contact vmware and report this bug. They would be happy to investigate any issues concerning windows 8 .

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a bug, and not resolved yet as far as I know.

Sometimes, it happened.

Hope it will be fixed on 5.0.x (bug#908069)

0 Kudos
quietquake
Contributor
Contributor

I thought by posting here that I was reporting this bug. Is there another place in VMWare support that I should go to report this? I don't see an option like that.

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Log into your myvmware account and raise a technical request. if they think its bug they will create bug report internally for further investigation

Cheers! Avanish
quietquake
Contributor
Contributor

I reported this problem using a support request, and today I got a call from VMWare tech support.

Turns out there's a "Windows 8" profile in keyboard settings, but it wasn't associated with my Windows 8 VM. After I selected it, I was able to use the control+command+U keyboard shortcut to switch to Unity mode without turning on Windows Narrator.

Steps that worked for me in correcting this problem:

Open Settings for the Windows 8 VM, click the Keyboard & Mouse icon, click Windows 8 in the profiles list, and then close the settings dialog.

0 Kudos