VMware Communities
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Bug: Fusion refuses to suspend or shut down guest

Hi,

host: macOS Sierra (released version, not a developer preview)

Fusion: 8.5

Guest: Yosemite (latest), with 2 cores assigned, 2GB RAM, Hardware version 11

Host: running on a mac mini late 2014, core i5, 8GB

VMware Tools installed - although it is vmware tools from Fusion 7.1.3 (will update before trying to reproduce)

Running in Full screen.

Installed iRAPP (http://www.coderebel.com/download/iRAPP_Server_Mac_Setup_For_10.10.dmg )

Double click to start the installer, on pressing the "Go" button to install the guest locked up completely

Trying to suspend the guest from the left mini menu did pretend to start suspending, you see the progressbar appear, but it just dissappears again.

Shut down from the menu .. is ignored.

Quit Fusion.. so far not happening, eventually used Quit from activity monitor on the vmx and that did kill the guest then used Force Quit on the GUI.

Will try to reboot the host to see if I can resolve and reproduce.

edit: added more technical details

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Rebooted host, updated VMware Tools, reran installer for iRAPP and that now works..

So not sure what happened there, but it has been a long long time since I've seen something similar, however I do see something else disturbing (which is not VMware Fusion)

As I figured to save the logs, I just selected 2 log files and via the context menu selected "Compress 2 items" .. this gets stuck as well (??)

I could copy those log files elsewhere and there I can compress fine.

but it gets to smell a bit .. (and it isn't VMware that smells, but either the mac mini or macOS Sierra)

edit: Just to be complete I added the logs. The main thing I'm seeing is that VMware tools is timing out. Still weird that it would even shut down.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos