VMware Communities
pideja
Contributor
Contributor

Broken link to VMWare files

I have a Version 8.5.10 (7527438) sitting in a MacPro v5,1 running High Sierra. Recently I moved a lot of folders and I inadvertently moved the Virtual Machines folder to another drive. As you can guess, I'm having a hard time getting my Windows XP (yes, XP) to start. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Delete the VMs that you moved from your Virtual Machine Library. Since they aren’t at the original location, you should not see a prompt to just remove from the Library or move files to the trash. 

Then, use Fusion’s File-> Open menu and locate the moved VM in the folder you moved it to. It will reappear in the Virtual Machine Library. 

When you power on the VM, you may be asked if you moved or copied it. Answer Moved. Not Copied. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If that other drive is an external spinning disk, the VM will run *very* slow.  External SSD's (USB 3.1 or better), work just fine.

0 Kudos
pideja
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I did successfully recoup my old WIN XP drive but after some thought, I decided to "upgrade" to a WIN 8 version I had on hand. Works fine up to now. All this because I'm still using an older QuickBooks app that only goes on Windows!

0 Kudos