VMware Communities
bobfritts
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bringing in a second VM

I have a VM using XP. I saved it onto an external HD.

Then, I upgraded the same (only) VM to Vista. It works just fine..

I would like to bring in my XP VM from the external HD and end up having the choice of which VM to load when I boot up.

Since the XP VM has a different name, I tried just copying it into the Virtual Machines folder in OS X

The XP VM does not show up as a choice at bootup.

How do I set Fusion to give me the choice of running either of the VM's?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fusion does not scan your hard drive for virtual machines, it just remembers ones it's seen before. By copying the VM to an external drive, then copying it back, Fusion lost track of it. You can drag-and-drop it to the Virtual Machine Library, tell Fusion to Open... and navigate to it, or just open the VM from the Finder.

As a side note, I would imagine that the Vista upgrade EULA says that you cannot use the old version (without going back to using only the older version). Please make sure that you're following the license.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A VM appears on the Virtual Machine Library window when the VM is created or if it has been or was removed from the window it will show up again when you run the VM either by double-clicking the VM Package Bundle, .vmx file for the target VM or use the VMware Fusion menu bar > File > Open (or Open Recent) command, to name a few ways, as there are other ways to start a VM as well all of which should cause the target VM to show in the Virtual Machine Library window.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fusion does not scan your hard drive for virtual machines, it just remembers ones it's seen before. By copying the VM to an external drive, then copying it back, Fusion lost track of it. You can drag-and-drop it to the Virtual Machine Library, tell Fusion to Open... and navigate to it, or just open the VM from the Finder.

As a side note, I would imagine that the Vista upgrade EULA says that you cannot use the old version (without going back to using only the older version). Please make sure that you're following the license.

0 Kudos