VMware Communities
srlamb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bridged networking to specific interface?

Is there a way to bind a "Connect directly to the physical network (Bridged)" interface to a specific physical interface (en0/wired vs en1/wireless)? I previously have done this in Parallels a number of times. For example, it can be handy to use dhcpd/tftpd on my Linux VM to boot PXE machines on one network segment while looking things up on an Internet connection via the other. My understanding is that VMware Fusion's bridged networking interface follows the default route of the host, which is not what I want. This is my last barrier to removing my Parallels Linux VM, freeing up several gigs of much-needed hard drive space.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is currently no GUI way to do this, but you can edit /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh to accomplish this. Look for the commented out line about en0.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is currently no GUI way to do this, but you can edit /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh to accomplish this. Look for the commented out line about en0.

0 Kudos
srlamb
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. I'd prefer a nice little drop-down like Parallels has, but I see the line you mention, and this way will do.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Remember to restart the networking daemons after making this change (e.g. run /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh --restart, or just reboot OS X). Also, while I fully expect this to work, the extra-safe thing to do would be to try the change before deleting Parallels.

0 Kudos
lyew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WHere is this boot.sh script? I don't seem to have one in that directory. I'm running 1.1.1

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

WHere is this boot.sh script? I don't seem to have one in that directory. I'm running 1.1.1

By default it is located at "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh" which is starting in the root of the hard disk drive not your Home Folder. Have you tried using Spotlight to find it? I typed boot.sh in Spotlight and it was in the path specified.

0 Kudos