VMware Communities
ktula
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged network question

VMware Fusion Version 1.1.1 (72241)

Mac Pro (Early 2008) 2 Quad-core processors at 2.8 GHz with 6 GB RAM

Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2

I have configured a VM running Ubuntu 7.10 as the guest OS. The VM is configured with 2 virtual processors and 1.5 GB RAM, and is connected to the physical network via bridging. The VM needs bridging because it is where my webserver is located. My Mac Pro is networked via en0 to a consumer-based Netgear 5-port Gigabit switch, which is connected to a Linksys WRT54GL router running a non-Linksys firmware called Tomato. On the Linksys router, i have configured port forwarding to forward all port 80 to an IP address of 192.168.0.100 (the IP address of my VM). The actual IP address of en0 of my Mac Pro is 192.168.0.110.

I have noticed that when i have the VM running, every other few websites that i go to in Safari, it will take a long time to load the website. For example, if i try to go to hardmac.com, the status bar in Safari will say "Contacting hardmac.com" and it will stay there between 5 to 10 seconds before starting to load the content. It looked as though it is not getting a response from the target website. If while Safari is still showing "Contacting hardmac.com" and i stop it and reload the page again, it will immediate load the website with no hesitation.

Has anyone else seen this problem? I ran tcpdump while this was happening, hoping to find out what's going on but the tcpdump output did not reveal much to me. This only seems to be happening when i have the VM running. It's not a big problem yet but it's getting to be quite irritating.

0 Kudos
0 Replies