VMware Communities
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged Wifi in Win7 Guest?

I know there are many threads about this general topic already, but this place is so cumbersome, it's not the easiest place to do a search.
I have red through some threads that I got as results on Google, but none specifically dealt with what I am experiencing. a

I am using Windows 7 Ent. 64 bit as the guest OS in Fusion 3.1.2 on my MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6.6 (everything is the latest version with all available updates applied).

I can not use bridged mode (the guest gets no network connectivity of any kind that way) for networking in my Windows 7 guest OS when the MacBook is connected to the wireless network (while disconnected from a wired/Ethernet network). In that case, I have to use NAT.

I can use bridged when connected to a wired/Ethernet network, but not wireless.

Is there a simple 'fix' for this (or any fix at all), or is this just the way it is, and I have no other choice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried everything in this article: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016466

Also, have you selected "Airport" in the Bridged sub-selection and checked?

0 Kudos
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have verified that the problem is not related to any of those issues (or at least, I have followed those steps, and the problem still exists).
This is not a recent thing....I've been using this Mac since I got it brand new in August or so last year, and it has never been any different. It's just not something that has been enough of an issue. So, I've let it go since I can just use it in NAT mode and get by.

I just decided to take it on and try to get an answer for it now.

....and yes, I have also selected 'Airpot' directly as opposed to jsut leaving it on automatic, but that made no difference.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

This also could be a limitation of your Router as has been reported by some where it will work properly, as an example, at home but not at work or at one given location but not another.  Have you never been able to use Bridged when the Host is connected via WiFi in all Routers that the Host has connected to or have you not tried with different Manufacture Make/Model of Routers?

0 Kudos
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

Good question. I think I've only tried it here at work (CU-Boulder).
I will try it (that is, bridged/wifi....I usually just leave it on NAT/wifi and so, when I get home, it's no problem) at home this weekend, and report back.
Thanks.

0 Kudos
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I tried Bridged at home, and it works just fine (entering this post via bridged/Wifi right now).
So, what's up with that?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

At Work either the Network Administrator has configured the Router not to allow multiple IP Addresses via WiFi bound to the same MAC Address and this is normal in many Enterprise Networks or the Router just doesn't support it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In the image of the ARP/RARP Table below you'll see 2 IP Address with the same MAC Address.  The first in the list is a Virtual Machine that is Bridged and the last is the Host's WiFi Network Adapter.  Obviously this Router allows it and in some cases the Router just doesn't and isn't configurable and in some High End Routers it can be configured to allow/disallow base on the Network Administrator preferences.

So since it works for you at home and not at work you could ask your Network Administrator about it.

ARP-RARP_Table.png

0 Kudos
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

OK, cool.
Thanks. I may go that route if need be, but since I don't really 'need' to use bridged, it may just get swept under the rug.

Do you suppose I could 'spoof' the MAC address for the guest OS, and possibly get an address?
I will try that first to see how it goes.

0 Kudos
pcmd
Contributor
Contributor

Doh! I just tried that, and it failed.
So, it appears to me as though there may be something else (other than the routers at work only allowing one IP per MAC address) causing this problem, but I'm not sure how that could be since it works at home (which does indeed suggest it's something going on here on the work network).

0 Kudos