VMware Communities
werch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bridged Networking presents the wrong MAC-address to the network. How can this be fixed?

Running both Fusion 11.4 and 12.0, Bridged Networking is recently misbehaving on my machine (Mac with Catalina).

In bridged networking mode, VM's present on the network with the host machine's MAC-address. (It should present with the VM's assigned MAC address)

This prevents DHCP from working at all, and, if static addresses are assigned, erratic network behavior occurs such as ping responses with (DUP!) results, suggesting some other sort of spoofing is going on. (VMs see two devices respond rather than just one.)

How can I fix this so that each VM's assigned MAC address is used rather than the host machine's?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
werch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I'm using WiFi, but I now know the following:

1) It is indeed the case that a single physical MAC address is used, and this is how it should be.

2) However, with my equipment everything now works properly (DHCP works, and there are no strange ping responses) after doing the following:

- Shut down the virtual machine.

- Go to virtual machine> Settings> Network adapter> Advanced options> remove network adapter.
- Go to virtual machine> Settings> Add device> Network adapter> Select Auto detect

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

AFAIK, there's a single physical MAC address that's actually used to make the network connection.  That's why a lot of corporate wifi gear (for example) won't issue two IP's to the same physical MAC

0 Kudos
werch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that's probably what's going on. I thought I remembered having used this setup in the past, but I was probably using static addresses then.

Then the remaining issue is why I get the duplicated ping responses when I give the VM a static address.

In any case, what I really want to do is to access a web server on the VM from the host.

0 Kudos
ivivanov
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What is your physical connection? Are you using Wi-Fi or Ethernet?

Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I'm using WiFi, but I now know the following:

1) It is indeed the case that a single physical MAC address is used, and this is how it should be.

2) However, with my equipment everything now works properly (DHCP works, and there are no strange ping responses) after doing the following:

- Shut down the virtual machine.

- Go to virtual machine> Settings> Network adapter> Advanced options> remove network adapter.
- Go to virtual machine> Settings> Add device> Network adapter> Select Auto detect

0 Kudos