VMware Communities
CJConline
Contributor
Contributor

Bootcamp .vmx file vs config

Could someone please enlightenment as to where (location & name) I would find the .vmx for the VM that Beta 3 when it boots directly off the bootcamp partition. Also what, if any is the difference between this file and the config file located here, "~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config"

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The Boot Camp partition VMX file is in the package at:

"~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp//Boot Camp partition/

Right click on the Boot Camp partition package to show the VMX file.

Best,

Pat

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

where (location & name) I would find the .vmx for the VM that Beta 3 when it boots directly off the bootcamp partition

~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/your-device-name-here/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp partition.vmx

what, if any is the difference between this file and the config file located here, "~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config"

vmx files are for individual virtual machine preferences, while the config file applies to all your virtual machines. They're also completely different options, so you can't toss vmx lines into a config and expect it to work or vice versa.

0 Kudos
CJConline
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply Pat but please excuse my ignorance as I am relatively new to the Mac. The only items showing in the folder "~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion" are to files: "preference" and "config". There is certainly no sub-folder "Virtual Machines" etc.

What am I missing?

chris

0 Kudos
CJConline
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, right now I see it. Thanks etung for pointing out the correct location. One final question.

Can I edit this with Textedit if required, ie is there anything to be aware of because it is in a "package"?

0 Kudos
Andreas_Masur
Expert
Expert

Can I edit this with Textedit if required, ie is

there anything to be aware of because it is in a

"package"?

TextEdit can mess up the end-of-line characters in the .vmx file if you copy/paste from a source using different ent-of-line indicators. To be on the safe side, you may want to try a different editor such BBEdit, Emacs or vi instead.

Ciao, Andreas

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can I edit this with Textedit if required, ie is there anything to be aware of because it is in a "package"?

Aside from Andreas' note about end-of-line characters, there aren't any issues. Bundles are just folders with an extension that tells the Finder to treat it as a file and not a folder.

0 Kudos
mail64565465
Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to try to figure out how to manually get my bootcamp partiion to get read, which is not being auto-detected. I can then post my results.

~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp

Can anyone upload or zip the files from the following path and e-mail them to coreduo0099@yahoo.com ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
vinayv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you since installed Beta 4? The Boot Camp detection in Beta 4 has been improved a lot. Simply delete the Boot Camp vmwarevm package, and start up beta 4. (I would suggest backing up the vmwarevm to a different location just in case). Beta 4 should detect the boot camp partitions.

0 Kudos