VMware Communities
ericmason
Contributor
Contributor

Bootcamp trouble

When I attempt to use Fusion with my boot camp partition I receive this message... "could not create a virtual disk for your boot camp virtual machine". Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Check that /Users/yournamehere/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/ is writable (e.g. you can create a file in it)?

0 Kudos
ericmason
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I can create a file in it.

0 Kudos
romman
Contributor
Contributor

Which version of Boot camp are you using? Also what OS do you have installed on your boot camp partition as well? I have boot camp 1.4 (Leopard version) with Vista Business 32 bit and everything works great. However, the problem I have is that my graphics settings get messed up when I boot back into Windows.

0 Kudos
ericmason
Contributor
Contributor

I am using 1.4 as well... the Leopard install. Everything was running fine for the first week of using Leopard then today VMware just quit working. I had a virtual machine running XP Home and today out of nowhere it wouldn't start... It would give me the message "failed to connect to peer process". I uninstalled VMware, deleted the virtual machine and decided to go the boot camp route. That's when I ran into this problem. I am using the 1.1 release candidate of VMware, using Vista Home Premium. I own both Parallels and VMware... using Parallels works fine with boot camp so I guess I will go that route for now, but in my experience VMware runs much better.

0 Kudos
romman
Contributor
Contributor

Eric,

I'm using Fusion 1.0, I tried 1.1 for a while and came back to 1.0 because of performance reasons. I did try parallels and did notice a performance increase with Fusion 1.0 btw. My suggestion is to try version 1.0 of Fusion instead of the beta 1.1 release, you will get better performance anyway.

ericmason
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I thought it might be a bug in the beta so I tried using 1.0 but got the same results. Who knows at this point... probably just caused by one of the many bugs in Leopard.

0 Kudos
romman
Contributor
Contributor

Ahh, good point. I'm having a problem with Windows Vista not seeing more than 2GB on my Mac Pro! Probably a bug on the MAC side.

0 Kudos
ericmason
Contributor
Contributor

Guess we will have to wait and see, and I hate the waiting game. Smiley Happy Thanks for the suggestions Romman!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

In what context is Vista (32-bit, right?) not seeing more than 2 GB? In properties of My Computer? How much are you allocating to the VM in Fusion?

0 Kudos