VMware Communities
Dalisca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bootcamp issues/ Cannot open disk

I am having trouble using VMware Fusion 4.1 and bootcamp. When I try to start my bootcamp partition as a virtual machine I get the following error mesage:

"Cannot open the disk:...Boot Camp partition.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on Reason: the partition table on the disk has changed since the disk was created. Remove the physical disk from the virtual machine and then add it again"

Does anyone know how to fix this? Booting into XP via bootcam is working fine, but VMware isn't.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try deleting and recreating your Boot Camp VM (~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp) - this is just metadata and won't affect the actual data on your BC partition, but perhaps it was somehow messed up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try deleting and recreating your Boot Camp VM (~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp) - this is just metadata and won't affect the actual data on your BC partition, but perhaps it was somehow messed up.

0 Kudos
Dalisca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great, that fixed it. I had assumed that uninstalling would have removed all those files.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Great, that fixed it. I had assumed that

uninstalling would have removed all those files.

Well, it does still has useful information in it in case you ever install Fusion again. It's the same reason documents (like VMs) get left behind after you uninstall the corresponding application (like Fusion).

0 Kudos
cupcake
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem. I originally created a bootcamp partition of 20 Gig. I installed Windows Vista and then installed Fusion on the Mac. Everything worked great. I needed more than 20 gig, so I did as instructed and removed the 20 Gig partition and created a new 37 gig partition using bootcamp. I then reinstalled Windows Vista, but now when I run fusion it gives the same error that is in the thread. I tried uninstalling/installing and deleting the folder and it hasn't fixed it. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos