VMware Communities
MacOSXguy
Contributor
Contributor

Bootcamp/fusion vista activation still not working.

Well this is my third post and I have still not had any luck resolving this issue. Here it is:

I have bootcamp on one of my Mac Pro with Vista Ultimate 32 installed. Vista is activated in Bootcamp.

Second I have VMware Fusion 1.1 (and latest parallels) installed in OS X.

VM tools installed but vista still wants activation in 3 days (in VM)

Help!!

Even a hack to turn off activation would be appreciated. And I hope VMware will fix this with update.

Please help with any advice.

Cheer

Unactivated in England.

0 Kudos
42 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm still having issues. Sometimes I have to boot 3 times to clear the messages and get Vista to boot. Grrrrr! Could OneCare be causing my issues?

Being that it's from Microsoft... well anything is possible however without more information it would be difficult to comment on what is causing this recurring issue for you.

0 Kudos
frios
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried to once again open my Boot camp partition in VMWare. Took FOREVER to start. Had to kill the process. Then booted my Vista Partition, and got the message that my Windows installation was illegal. After several reboots I was finally able to activate it again.

I have decided that I will keep my Vista Ultimate Boot camp partition for playing games and just created an additional Vista Business Virtual machine for running any apps that I might need. Seems to be the cleanest way to do it, since VMWare really can't run my games the way booting directly into Vista can anyway. I keep all of my data on my Mac partition and share it with the Vista VM. Seems to work just fine this way.

0 Kudos
mcrawford00
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problems - and cannot 're-activate' within the VM - (ie: Ultimate activation process claims I need another Ultimate product key) - I am using VMW 1.1, OSX 10.5.1/ bootcamp and have installed the tools etc. Lordy this activation process has been a nightmare - my question is this:

1. Is installing Vista Ultimate on bootcamp, and then using Fusion truly acceptable by Microsoft - ? (Am I at risk by explaining the mish-mash of stuff here (bootcamp + Fusion)

2. Is Fusion likely going to fix this, or have a workaround in the future - which would make this a more viable process for future Mac/ VM combinations I might consider?

Thanks,

- Marc

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Let me walk through the process as we expected it to work, and please let me know if your experiences differed.

1) You install Vista on the Boot Camp partition. By default, Vista is set to activate automatically after installation. Apple's Boot Camp drivers are installed, and Vista is activated.

2) Fusion is installed under OS X. (Steps 1 and 2 may occur in either order).

3) You run Fusion and slect the Boot Camp partition. On the first run, there's a short delay while necessary drivers are installed into the Vista partition. These support the virtual hard disk, mouse and keyboard but have nothing to do with activation. The virtual machine boots into Vista, and VMware Tools are installed.

4) At this point, Vista will start complaining that it needs to be (re)activated, because the hardware it sees is significantly different than it was at initial activation. Depending on the version of Vista you have, and things like volume licensing, the activation can be done automatically over the Internet or you may have to call Microsoft for a key. I haven't done this myself, but I've seen reports from others on the forum that have done so, explained what they were doing (that you are running on the same machine may be significant) and obtained a key. You type that key into the activation wizard, while running under Fusion, and Vista is now activated for the VM.

5) What VMware Tools will do is keep track of the activation keys for running as Boot Camp or in a virtual machine, so that Vista (or XP) sees a match beteen the activation data and the current hardware mode. No further activation will be necessary.

It also works if you do things in the other order, activating first in a virtual machine and then later under Boot Camp, but Tools are required to make the activations valid across mode switches.

We do this to comply with Microsoft's licensing requirements while trying to make it as seamless as possible to run your Vista partition in a VM. We understand that people will want to boot back into Boot Camp to run OpenGL apps or for some gaming. But Fusion doesn't contain any "cracks" to the activation process, and that won't be something we would change.

Apart from the single phone call to Microsoft support for the key, we think we've taken the process as far as we can reasonably go. Are your experiences different from what I've outlined before? If there's any bug in our software, I'm anxious to work with you and get it resolved.

0 Kudos
mcrawford00
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for writing back -

We are in perfect agreement about the process up to mid-point in step 4 - I have called MS - they got me working, and now magically, am back to the same point where the VM is cranky, (Bootcamp is happy and activated) and trying to activate again - but the online activation process fails and reports that my Activation Key is already in use. I suppose it's one of those areas where I can see the VMWare perspective (we've taken it as far as we can) and the customer angst about having to jump and call MS for help on activation (not fun, trust me!) - of course it would be more elegant, if MS wasn't so amazingly cranky around activation/ Fusion could magically satisfy their needs without forcing end-users to call MS.

But.... at the end of the day, the VM perspective is that this is a legitimate process and that MS blesses this approach?!

Thanks again for getting back so quickly - really appreciate it.

- Marc

ps. Have just completed the installation of Fusion 1.1.1 which came out this week - no news to report on this topic at least.

0 Kudos
Mac_hatter
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft relented on having to use Business/Ultimate and Enterprise in the VM.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=12&articleId=9058...

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

> back to the same point where the VM is activation-cranky...

So MS got you working, and you typed a key in, and Windows Vista was activated. Was this while you were running as a virtual machine? And Tools is installed? It's not supposed to be "cranky" after that!

Fusion keeps a log of the activation processing in your VM/BootCamp partition, in the file \ProgramData\VMware\RawdskCompatibility\vmrawdsk.log. Could you post that file, that I might take a look and see if anything is going wrong in the details?

> But.... at the end of the day, the VM perspective is that this is a legitimate process and that MS blesses this approach?!

Our legal team has reviewed Fusion's approach and considers it legitimate, and although I cannot speak for Microsoft it appears that they are not interested in putting up unscalable barriers to people using their software. They have a real and legitimate concern about people pirating their software, but they are trying to balance a reaction against that with being so inflexible that people are driven away.

0 Kudos
Linh_My
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just a note on Vista Activation. You do not need to buy a separate 32 bit and a separate 64 bit version. The same license and product key is valid and works on both 32 and 64 bit Vista. Microsoft did charge me a $10.00 shipping charge for the 64 bit media as my retail package came with 32 bit media. If you bought both a 32 bit and a 64 bit copy of Vista you own two copies of Vista that can be used as either 32 bit or 64 bit. The issue is fully covered on the MS Web site.

0 Kudos
lenrev
Contributor
Contributor

It's not just an issue with Vista. It is just another issue with VMWare.

I am a new MacBook (2.16GHz, 2 GB RAM) owner who quickly saw the need for dual boot to Windows since I own a plethora of applications that either are not available in OSX or it makes no sense to buy them twice. Upon installing Fusion and purchasing Windows XP SP2 I created a VM for XP only to learn that VMWare will not support serial ports. I then installed Boot Camp for WinXP (I removed the original VM) and the ports work, as expected. The Boot Camp /WinXP install also sees my external drive using Firewire. Of course, MS insisted I reactivate the Boot Camp/XP installation, which I did. I then installed the VM for Boot Camp/XP expecting to be able to use the VM for apps that do not need serial support. WRONG! I now find that the Boot Camp VM must now be activated and the VM does not see my external drive.

I have one computer with one installation of this Microsoft product. Why should I have to purchase another license in order to SEE the OS virtually? Why should a product that purports to produce a virtual rendition of an OS, that I purchase, not support the I/O the OS provides?

At the risk of being chastised, I too, would appreciate a work-around if VMWare is going to lend the same deaf ear to this as in the serial ports complaints.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

I've asked that question before and the official answer is that VMWare does not virtualize the OS; instead, VMWare virtualizes the hardware running the OS. Microsoft licenses the OS to one hardware configuration. VMWare does its best to make the hardware configuration of the BootCamp VM (BCVM) look as much like the hardware configuration of the Bootcamp (BC) machine. In some case (Many? The majority? Do we have numbers?), Microsoft detects enough difference between the two configurations to require "reactivation" when you switch.

I'm in the same boat as you guys: each time I reboot the BCVM or BC, I am prompted to re-activate. As a customer who can only go by the results on my own machine, I would say VMWare's claim that 1.1 supports activation in Vista Bootcamp does not apply to my machine and should be changed, qualified, or entirely removed if this claim brings in new customers for whom the claim does not apply. I sympathize with VMWare in that virtualization is a pretty advanced and subtle area. Bringing it to the masses and dealing with Windows Activation has to be a challenge. But I'm not sure that this claim of being able to activate Vista in both BC and a BCVM stands up on enough machines outside of their test lab and in the hands of paying customers.

In my case, however, Vista has not told me I have run out of activations and has never prompted me to call Microsoft. Also, if I simply do not activate my BCVM, I get three days use out of it before I have to boot back into BC. After that, the three day grace period is reset on my BCVM. This seems only quasi-legal to me. Because I can still use my BCVM and BC, however, I'm not all up in arms.

That is just my 2 cents.

Message was edited by: flipdoubt (paragraph formatting always gets me!)

0 Kudos
Linh_My
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"In my case, however, Vista has not told me I have run out of activations and has never prompted me to call Microsoft."

After installing Vista Business as sole OS on a computer one time, Vista has told me that I have run out of activations and made me call Microsoft when I tried to activate a Vista Business VM using the same License. This is to run a Vista VM on a computer running the same version and license Base OS as the VM. MS policy is that this is absolutely allowed with Vista Business. I got it to work but I did have to call Microsoft. This does sound like a Microsoft issue to me and is not restricted to Boot Camp or OSX.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

Lihn My, your experience underlines what I take to be the big lesson here for everyone -- including us end-users, Microsoft, and VMWare -- that there is a big difference between policy and practice. Yes, Microsoft's policy allows this scenario, but the Vista installation on your machine detects a difference that is significant enough to warrant re-activation. It isn't Fusion asking Vista to request re-activation. Fusion isn't even running when you boot back into Boot Camp and get prompted for activation. VMWare can claim all they want that (a) this is allowed and (b) Fusion takes appropriate steps to show Vista the hardware has not changed but, on your machine and on my machine and countless others, Vista still detects enough difference.

Here is a question for the VMWare folks who might be reading this: do you have any numbers or can you take a poll to learn how many Fusion users running a BCVM have attempted activation and how many stay activated without requiring re-activation?

0 Kudos
Agent_86
Contributor
Contributor

I was having problems with this issue as well. In my case, I had somehow "reset" my VM settings for the bootcamp environment. Naturally, Vista (I'm running Vista Business) saw what looked like a different amount of RAM and number of CPUs (I had originally set it to use 2 virtual processors). So in order to fix this, I just had to change my VMWare settings for the bootcamp partition back to how they were when I first booted the bootcamp partition in VMWare....

Don't know if this will help anyone, but it worked for me.

0 Kudos
rscamp
Contributor
Contributor

I get this just about every time I boot Vista:

"Error: 0xC004D401

The security processor reported a system file mismatch error."

Why? I'm not changing anything. I'm just trying to boot the darn thing.

Sometimes when I reboot it goes away. Sometimes I have to reboot 3 or 4 times for it to go away.

Rob

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

That message can occur when the files containing some of Vista's activation data are out of sync with the registry keys that have the rest of it.

Are you using VMware Fusion, Parallels, and BootCamp to run the installation three ways? I'm not sure what else can cause those files to get out of sync.

0 Kudos
rscamp
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Fusion only.

0 Kudos
iLamp
Contributor
Contributor

I encounter the same issue after installing Vista (Ultimate) Service Pack 1 final (SP1). Vista is asking me to activate again and again (in Fusion as well as in Bootcamp). Although I reactivated Vista already 4x now I (so far) have not been asked to call Microsoft. I'm using Fusion 1.1.1 / tools are installed in Vista (and seem to be working fine). I guess my problems are caused by a new activation scheme used in SP1. Any clue how to solve the issue? Will there be an updated VMware Fusion tools? Help is very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
rscamp
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry to say I've given up on Fusion and reverted back to Boot Camp only. Fortunately for me, Vista runs extremely well under Boot Camp. I just hope some future Vista update doesn't cause a problem with Boot Camp too...

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

@ILamp and @rscamp:

Are you guys using retail or OEM versions of Vista? In a different thread, jim.gill suggested my issues have to do with the fact that mine is an OEM version of Vista.

Personally, I'm not giving up on Fusion until I can no longer activate it. I understand the sense of danger because activating the BCVM unactivates the native BC installation, but that isn't a show stopper because Vista always gives me 3 days to activate. All I have to do is boot back into the BCVM to reset the three day clock.

0 Kudos
iLamp
Contributor
Contributor

@flipdoubt: I'm using a retail version of Vista but, as mentioned before, my activation issue came only with the Vista SP1 update.

0 Kudos