VMware Communities
charring
Contributor
Contributor

Bootcamp does not show up?

Forgive this question if it has already been posted, but I could not find an answer. I just downloaded Build 43733 and installed it. I already have bootcamp with fresh install of XP on a seperate 250gb drive in my Mac Pro, but when I launch fusion, it does not show the Boot Camp partition as a VM to launch.

OSX 10.4.9

Mac Pro, 2.66ghz, 2gb RAM

(1) 500gb drive that I boot OS/X from

(2) 500gb drives formatted at a RAID 0

(1) 250gb drive for bootcamp with fresh install of Windows XP

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is expected - the current incarnation of BootCamp support only works for installs on the same disk as the one you booted OS X from. Support for other configurations (such as yours) is in the works. See for example Boot Camp not recognized[/url].

charring
Contributor
Contributor

OK...I kind of figured that's what it was. I'll keep my eyes open for the next release to see if it is addressed.

BTW, I set it up this way originally to try to get Parallels to work with Bootcamp, but it is failing miserably. I am hoping that VMWare works better with Bootcamp once I can get it configured.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jamesstaylor
Contributor
Contributor

I have the identical setup you have and the latest version of Parallels Workstation will boot a Boot Camp partition that is on a separate hard drive. Hopefully VMWare will fix this in their next release (fingers crossed).

0 Kudos
jamesstaylor
Contributor
Contributor

Actually Boot Camp 1.2 supports disks other than the one that you have currently booted too. Here is a link from Apples Boot Camp site demonstrating this: http://images.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/images/choosepartition080806.jpg

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I meant Fusion's[/i] support for BootCamp setups is limited. Still, it's good to have the reference to encourage the devs to support more configurations.

0 Kudos