VMware Communities
NNois
Contributor
Contributor

Bootcamp and windows x64

Hello,

I'm trying to use my bootcamp partition in fusion on my macpro (vista x64) but at the startup of the virtual machine, fusion says it's configured in 32bits and needs to be changed to 64bits in the "settings".

But I can't find the option In the property page of the VM. Is it a hidden option ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
NNois
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I hesitate to remove my bootcamp partition from the list to re-ad it after to select the 64 bit mode... is it safe and possible?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'm trying to use my bootcamp partition in fusion on my macpro (vista x64) but at the startup of the virtual machine, fusion says it's configured in 32bits and needs to be changed to 64bits in the "settings".

But I can't find the option In the property page of the VM. Is it a hidden option ?

No, this message is left over from Workstation. It's possible to edit the vmx file (change "winvista" to "winvista-64"), or you can delete and recreate the boot camp metadata.

Well, I hesitate to remove my bootcamp partition from the list to re-ad it after to select the 64 bit mode... is it safe and possible?

I'd expect it to be perfectly safe. To do this, delete the bootcamp VM (your data is actually on the BC partition so will not be removed, the VM just contains metadata) - I believe it's under ~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Actually, is 64-bit even supported by Apple for Boot Camp?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As of version 1.3 released last week, no its not. Bootcamp will allow you to load 64bit and it will boot but none of the Apple drivers from the driver CD will install

0 Kudos
eobet
Contributor
Contributor

I have read that the latest Mac Pro machines come with install CDs which do have x64 drivers for Vista AND XP...

...but has anyone really tested this first hand?

Also, what does Fusion think of this?

EDIT: Btw, since boot camp didn't support x64 before, how on earth were people able to run X64 editions under Fusion? I've found earlier posts than this about 64-bit editions. Do the Vmware Tools overwrite the Boot Camp drivers?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Also, what does Fusion think of this?

Fusion currently does not support 64-bit Boot Camp; at the time it went through QA, Apple hadn't released 64-bit drivers. I thought the Boot Camp 64-bit drivers were only for Vista, do you have a link supporting XP?

since boot camp didn't support x64 before, how on earth were people able to run X64 editions under Fusion? I've found earlier posts than this about 64-bit editions. Do the Vmware Tools overwrite the Boot Camp drivers?

Remember that "not supported" != "won't work". All the Boot Camp assistant does is partition your hard drive, it has no way of knowing or controlling what you install. 64-bit Boot Camp drivers don't exist for most Apple hardware, but Window's generic drivers are good enough for basic use. Tools doesn't overwrite Boot Camp drivers, they do different things and should co-exist.

0 Kudos
eobet
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

Well, I Googled and browsed other forums mentioning this, and it seems that as you say, some people have gotten it to work, even though it is unsupported. The XP x64 bit information is very sketchy, though, and apparently requires editing of the install files in some way.

However, all forums seem to indicate that only Mac Pro machines ship with 64-bit drivers, but I just checked, and my new Macbook Pro also comes with at least the BootCamp64.exe file which seems to indicate 64-bit support (though I can't get it working in XP x64).

I've gone back to vanilla 32-bit XP now.

0 Kudos