Bestiole
Contributor
Contributor

Boot Camp volume preprocessing failure

Hi,
On a 2017 iMac with Monterey, I used Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 10 Pro. After that, I installed VMware Fusion 12 and created a Boot Camp virtual machine. Everything was working very well. Due to issues in Windows 10, I shut down the Boot Camp virtual machine and uninstalled Boot Camp from the assistant. Then I installed Boot Camp again from the wizard and since then when I want to create my Boot Camp virtual machine I got an error: "Boot Camp volume preprocessing failed. You will not be able to start your Boot Camp volume as a virtual machine."
I completely uninstalled VMware Fusion (application + Folders + Files) then I reinstalled it but I still have the same issue. I think this is from uninstalling Boot Camp without first deleting the virtual machine.
Can you help me ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Bestiole
Contributor
Contributor

I reinstalled Monterey from scratch and then created a Boot Camp partition in which I installed and updated Windows 10 Pro. I then restarted in Monterey then I installed VMware Fusion, I entered the license key and I wanted to virtualize my Boot Camp partition. But it still doesn't work, I still have the same error: Boot Camp volume preprocessing failure. Is VMware Fusion 12.2.1 compatible with Windows 10 Pro latest version?

0 Kudos
Bestiole
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I have been looking for a solution for 5 days to make Boot Camp virtualization work and I have almost succeeded but it is really a difficult and time consuming journey. VMware Fusion is top-notch software and I have great respect for the developers. The free software for personal use is also a point that also deserves my thanks. That being said, it appears that VMware Fusion 12.2.1 and Monterey are not quite compatible, as far as my installation is concerned. Here is what I can share with those who come to read this post: I have a 2017 iMac with 32GB of RAM and 500GB of NVME SSD + 1TB SATA HDD. I just completed a clean install of Monterey, then installed Winclone and Carbon Copy Cloner. These 2 softwares have become indispensable after doing a lot of reinstallations of Monterey and Boot Camp. With Winclone and Carbon Copy Cloner I now save a lot of time when something stops working. I launched the Boot Camp assistant which created a 200GB partition on which I installed and activated Windows 10 Pro then the Boot Camp drivers. I did not launch any Windows update and restarted in Monterey. I installed and activated VMware Fusion then virtualized Boot Camp. I also installed VMware Tools. I restarted Monterey, launched VMware Fusion, and started my VM. Everything works perfectly. Now here is what breaks the VM: if I start under Windows and activate file sharing OR change the name of the PC, then the VM does not work under Monterey and I have a "Boot Camp volume preprocessing failure ". I am then forced to reinstall Monterey because removing and reinstalling VMware Fusion and Boot Camp is not enough to restore normal operation. Here is another case: If I run the Windows 10 Pro updates then it is still possible to start the VM from Monterey but there is an error on startup: the Boot Camp.vmdk file was not found. All you have to do is click on the Browse ... button, the file that cannot be found is nevertheless there and you have to double click on it. This issue prevents my VM from automatically starting when I start my iMac. Despite my research on this forum, I haven't found any solutions to these issues and wonder how others manage to make Boot Camp virtualization work! If anyone is able to help me I will be happy to do so and for that I attach the zip file generated by VMware Fusion. Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
Bestiole
Contributor
Contributor

I resigned myself to abandon VMware Fusion. Maybe there will be a working version in the future, but for now I'm using the latest Parallels version 17.1.1 I just purchased and everything works fine at the first time. It's not free but when I see all the time I've spent trying to virtualize Boot Camp using VMware Fusion, I think it's a good investment in the end. VMware is free, but it needs to evolve to become compatible with Monterey.

0 Kudos