VMware Communities
iyusaf
Contributor
Contributor

Boot Camp v1.2 Partition Not Detected in Beta 4

I posted back in April regarding my Boot Camp partition not showing up in Fusion.

Just downloaded and tried Beta 4 with the same results -- Boot Camp partition is not detected.

Anybody else having issues with this?

I have a MacBook Pro with the following partition scheme:

/dev/disk0

#: type name size identifier

0: GUID_partition_scheme *149.1 GB disk0

1: EFI 200.0 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 87.8 GB disk0s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data Windows XP 61.0 GB disk0s3

The Windows partition is NTFS. I also use Windows NT Filesystem 3G.

Here's the original thread

http://www.vmware.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=616845#616845

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you remove NTFS-3G and MacFuse and try this again?

Thanks,

Pat

0 Kudos
oeln
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem as iyusaf but I'm running Boot Camp v1.3 and I have an iMac with the following partition scheme and I'm using Windows XP Pro on the Boot Camp partition. What to do????

/dev/disk0

0: GUID_partition_scheme *465.8 GB disk0

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 365.0 GB disk0s2

3: Microsoft Basic Data WindowsHD 100.4 GB disk0s3

0 Kudos
jayschuster
Contributor
Contributor

Nor does it work for me, on my first generation MacBookPro:

/dev/disk0

0: GUID_partition_scheme *93.2 GB disk0

2: Apple_HFS Trinity 72.8 GB disk0s2

3: EFI 10.0 GB disk0s3

4: Microsoft Basic Data WINDOWS 10.0 GB disk0s4

My Windows partition is FAT32, and has Windows XP installed on it. The 10.0GB partition in between is my Linux partition.

Like some other early MacBookPro adopters, I triple-boot MacOSX, Linux, and Windows XP using rEFIt. I look forward to being able to use my boot-camp partition under VMWare without having to relicense XP each time I switch back and forth.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you are using MacFuse and NTFS-3G, can you remove them and restart and try again to see if it is discovered?

Thanks,

pat

0 Kudos
GeJe
Contributor
Contributor

I've just hand removed MacFUSE and NTFS-3G, Disk Utility no longer shows "Windows NT FileSystem -3G", but VMWare still can't find my boot camp partition.

Anyone have an uninstaller for those programs ?

I previously tested Parallels Desktop 3 on this partition but I'm not convinced with its Coherence function.

Can this be a problem for VMWare ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
jayschuster
Contributor
Contributor

If you are using MacFuse and NTFS-3G, can you remove

them and restart and try again to see if it is

discovered?

I was using MacFUSE (I had forgotten I had installed it). In order to uninstall it, I had to update to the latest version and then uninstall; since the very-beta version I had installed didn't have an uninstaller (from their FAQ: http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/wiki/FAQ ) \[This may help GeJe]

I don't have NTFS-3G installed (I don't even know what it is!). My bootcamp partitition is FAT32, so I wouldn't be reading NTFS drives anyway.

I rebooted, but VMWare still isn't finding my bootcamp partition.

0 Kudos
GeJe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks alot for thinking about me. I have checked that I've completely removed MacFUSE & NTFS-3G, this is now OK.

But it still doesn't allow me to have the Boot Camp partition showing up in the list, so I can't tryout VMWare & Unity.

Any news on this issue ? Thanks !

0 Kudos
GeJe
Contributor
Contributor

Shame ! Shame on me…

I don't know why but I've downloaded ß3 from MacUpdate, not the ß4 !

Thanks to the ApplicationUpdate widget, I've noticed my mistake.

Now the Boot Camp partition is appearing in the list, I'll try in a minute or so.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll reinstall later MacFUSE + NTFS-3G and test again.

0 Kudos
jayschuster
Contributor
Contributor

What information do you need from me to help debug this? Is there some verbose mode I can enable in VMWare's startup to see how/why it's failing to find my BootCamp Windows XP partition?

2 Trinity> diskutil list

/dev/disk0

0: GUID_partition_scheme *93.2 GB disk0

2: Apple_HFS Trinity 72.8 GB disk0s2

3: EFI 10.0 GB disk0s3

4: Microsoft Basic Data WINDOWS 10.0 GB disk0s4

I use rEFIt to triple boot.

0 Kudos
iyusaf
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Pat,

I finally had a chance to muck with this. I removed both NTFS-3G and MacFuse. Unfortunately Fusion still does not see the Boot Camp partition.

I am looking forward to using Fusion because it feels better. For now however, I am tied to Parallels because of the Boot Camp issue.

It would be very helpful if your engineers could provide instructions on how to specify the Boot Camp partition manually so that Fusion can make use of it. What do you think?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jayschuster
Contributor
Contributor

1.0 RC 1 recognizes my Boot Camp partition! Woohoo! As to why it works now, when it didn't yesterday -- the only thing I can think it is is that I used the rEFIt partitioning tool to regenerate the BIOS partition table from the EFI partition table -- earlier today I had installed Fedora 7 into a partition and it uses grub to hide all non-Linux partitions; this causes Windows XP to fail while booting. I've had this problem before (with Fedora) so I was unconcerned and ran the rEFIt tool. One thing I noticed was it changed the partition type of the Windows XP partition from FAT32 CHS to FAT32 LBA (or the other way around; I'd have to reboot to look and I'm too excited to do that right now).

So, lyusaf, you may want to see if your problem is related to that...

0 Kudos
wdeboer
Contributor
Contributor

Hopefully it ain't a MacFuse or NTFS-3G problem. I am planning to use that when I am reinstalling my notebook. As soon those fellows at Apple are getting considerate and replace my unreadable Installation Discs. Those people want to charge for it, I am not going to pay for installation discs of MacOSX that never worked!

0 Kudos