VMware Communities
rhbw
Contributor
Contributor

Boot Camp partition preprocessing failed.

I've installed VMware Fusion (v1.0 51348) and am attempting to bring up my Boot Camp partition (XP SP2). I encounter the error, "Boot Camp partition preprocessing failed." If I click ok, it launches XP, but the keyboard and mouse do not work (including the command Send Ctl-Alt-Del). What is this error and how do I recover? I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the application, but to no avail.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
rhbw
Contributor
Contributor

Guess I have folks stumped. Smiley Happy

Additional Information

Full Error Message

Boot Camp partition preprocessing failed. Drivers for your Boot Camp partition may not be loaded.

MacBook Pro 15in 2nd Half 2007. Standard build. OS X 10.4.10. Latest patches applied. 1GB memory.

I've attached the log file vmware-vmfusion.log. It contains numerous errors of being unable to find certain files... e.g.:

Sep 25 09:13:19.953: vmfusion| Cmd /host2/#_client/util/disk/cmd/##21e/op/getDiskInfo/ failed: The system cannot find the file specified

Sep 25 09:13:19.954: vmfusion| DISKLIB-LINK : "naos.vmdk" : failed to open (The system cannot find the file specified).

Sep 25 09:13:19.954: vmfusion| DISKLIB-CHAIN : "naos.vmdk" : failed to open (The system cannot find the file specified).

Sep 25 09:13:19.954: vmfusion| DISKLIB-LIB : Failed to open 'naos.vmdk' with flags 0x17 (The system cannot find the file specified).

Sep 25 09:13:19.954: vmfusion| VMHS: failed to open 'naos.vmdk' : The system cannot find the file specified (27).

Sep 25 09:13:19.954: vmfusion| Cmd /host2/#_client/util/disk/cmd/##21f/op/getDiskInfo/ failed: The system cannot find the file specified

Sep 25 09:13:37.048: vmfusion| VmdbVmCfg_UpdateFile: Could not load dictionary file /Users/malek/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp partition.vmx: Unable to get information about file "/Users/malek/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm/Boot Camp partition.vmx": No such file or directory.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The missing files sound problematic - naos.vmdk is critical for preprocessing. What's the output of

sudo ls -l /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/naos-1.0.vmwarevm

and do you have anything under "/Users/malek/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/"?

rhbw
Contributor
Contributor

Meadow:~ malek$ sudo ls -l /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/naos-1.0.vmwarevm

total 173376

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 88604672 Jun 18 22:30 naos.vmdk

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 118904 May 25 16:10 open_source_licenses.txt

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 1688 May 8 14:37 vadk-base.vmsd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 2034 May 25 21:14 vadk-base.vmx

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 259 Apr 27 00:22 vadk-base.vmxf

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 371 May 8 16:47 vaos-cl1.vmdk

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 8684 May 25 21:15 vaos_master_auto_main.nvram

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 8664 Apr 27 00:22 vaos_master_auto_null_main.nvram

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 0 Apr 27 00:22 vaos_master_auto_null_main.vmsd

Meadow:~ malek$

Meadow:~ malek$ ls -l /Users/malek/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/Virtual\ Machines/

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 3 malek malek 102 Sep 25 15:02 Boot Camp

drwxr-xr-x 3 malek malek 102 Sep 25 15:03 Helper

Meadow:~ malek$ ls -l /Users/malek/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/Virtual\ Machines/*

/Users/malek/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 3 malek malek 102 Sep 25 15:02 %2Fdev%2Fdisk0

/Users/malek/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 14 malek malek 476 Sep 25 15:04 naos-1.0.vmwarevm

Meadow:~ malek$ ls -l /Users/malek/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/Virtual\ Machines//

/Users/malek/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 4 malek malek 136 Sep 25 15:04 Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm

/Users/malek/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm:

total 173464

-rwxr-xr-x 1 malek malek 88604672 Sep 25 15:04 naos.vmdk

-rwxr-xr-x 1 malek malek 118904 May 25 16:10 open_source_licenses.txt

-rw------- 1 malek malek 0 Sep 25 15:03 temp.vmsd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 malek malek 2309 Sep 25 15:03 temp.vmx

-rwxr-xr-x 1 malek malek 1688 May 8 14:37 vadk-base.vmsd

-rwxr-xr-x 1 malek malek 2034 May 25 21:14 vadk-base.vmx

-rwxr-xr-x 1 malek malek 259 Apr 27 00:22 vadk-base.vmxf

-rwxr-xr-x 1 malek malek 371 May 8 16:47 vaos-cl1.vmdk

-rwxr-xr-x 1 malek malek 8684 Sep 25 15:04 vaos_master_auto_main.nvram

-rwxr-xr-x 1 malek malek 8664 Apr 27 00:22 vaos_master_auto_null_main.nvram

-rwxr-xr-x 1 malek malek 0 Apr 27 00:22 vaos_master_auto_null_main.vmsd

-rw-rr 1 malek wheel 40108 Sep 25 15:04 vmware.log

Meadow:~ malek$ ls -l /Users/malek/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/Virtual\ Machines/Boot\ Camp/%2Fdev%2Fdisk0/Boot\ Camp\ partition.vmwarevm/

total 72

-rw------- 1 malek malek 32256 Sep 25 15:03 Boot Camp partition-pt.vmdk

-rw------- 1 malek malek 513 Sep 25 15:03 Boot Camp partition.vmdk

Meadow:~ malek$

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Could you attach (not paste, it looks big)

/Users/malek/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm/vmware.log?

0 Kudos
rhbw
Contributor
Contributor

Could you attach (not paste, it looks big)

/Users/malek/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm/vmware.log?

Please see attachment for this log.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The relevant bit is:

Sep 25 16:30:37.005: vcpu-0| Guest: 100 reconfig : reconfigure.sh v1.04
Sep 25 16:30:40.017: vcpu-0| VIDE: Curr CHS info cyls: 65535 heads: 1 sects: 63 lba_cap: 268435455
Sep 25 16:30:40.045: vcpu-0| Guest: mounting NTFS
Sep 25 16:30:52.013: vcpu-0| Guest: 400 reconfig : FAILED: unable to copy target's software hive to tmp folder
Sep 25 16:31:54.929: vcpu-0| PIIX4: PM Soft Off.  Good-bye.

This sounds similar to , please see if Jim's question applies to you.

rhbw
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Jim's question applies to me. My software hive is 55.2 MB and my system hive is 8.5 MB, which takes me over the 60 MB threshold. Unfortunately, jim.gill did not post the alternate way of getting the virtual machine running. Would you be able to? At this point, the preprocessing step fails first before I can disable any VM settings... which means that the keyboard and mouse drivers on the OS X side are not there when the Boot Camp image boots.

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

I'm sorry to have not responded before. Here are the steps you must take to work around the 60MB registry limit in Boot Camp preprocessing. In short, we are applying a registry script that enables Windows to recognize the mouse, keyboard and IDE drivers appropriate for running on the virtual hardware. This does not prevent you from running under BootCamp; you'll be able to switch back and forth as you like.

1) Boot your Mac into native Windows from the Boot Camp partition

2) Download the attached 'bootcamp_registryfix.zip' file which updates the Windows registry to add references to the IDE, mouse, and keyboard required for the virtual hardware.

3) Unzip the attachment; double click on the 'bootcamp_registry.reg' file

4) When asked to "Are you sure you want to add the information in C:(path to file) to the registry?", click Yes

5) If successfully added, the Windows Registry Editor will say "Information in C:(path to file) has been successfully entered into the registry." and click OK.

6) Restart the computer and boot off the Mac partition

7) Launch VMware Fusion and open your Boot Camp partition virtual machine, which should no longer blue screen or have issues with the keyboard or mouse

😎 Go to the VMware Fusion menu and install VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
rhbw
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I followed the seven steps spelled out by Constant crash on 24" iMac.

I continue to get the same preprocessing failures, but at least the keyboard and mouse work when my Boot Camp image boots. Although this (re: seven steps) is more of a work-around than a fix it does get me up and running.

Thank-you for all of your help! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

I'm sorry to have not responded earlier. Here is the manual procedure for applying what the Boot Camp preprocessing does. Basically you are adding registry entries that allow Windows to recognize the mouse, keyboard and IDE driver that are available when your Boot Camp partition runs under VMware Fusion. Applying these registry changes does not prevent you from running under Boot Camp; you can switch between Boot Camp and VMware Fusion as you like.

To apply the changes manually,

1) Download the attached 'bootcamp_registryfix.zip' file which updates the Windows registry to add references to the IDE, mouse, and keyboard required for the virtual hardware. Save it to a USB thumb drive, or open this forum posting from within Windows. You need the zip file available from Windows.

1) Boot your Mac into native Windows from the Boot Camp partition

3) Unzip the attachment double click on the 'bootcamp.reg' file

4) When asked to "Are you sure you want to add the information in C:(path to file) to the registry?", click Yes

5) If successfully added, the Windows Registry Editor will say "Information in C:(path to file) has been successfully entered into the registry." and click OK.

6) Restart the computer and boot off the Mac partition

7) Launch VMware Fusion and open your Boot Camp partition virtual machine, which should no longer blue screen or have issues with the keyboard or mouse

😎 Go to the menu and choose Virtual Machine | Install VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
rhbw
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! That's what I did and it works (ignoring the "Boot Camp partition preprocessing failed." dialog). Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Yes, those were the steps. I agree it's more a workaround fthan a fix but I'm glad your system is running. Do not forget to install VMware Tools, which adds support so that you do not have to reactivate Windows whenever you switch between Boot Camp and VMware Fusion (you will need to activate once in each mode; the Tools makes sure that teh proper activation is recognized for the mode you are running under).

0 Kudos
TCT
Contributor
Contributor

hello all:

I have the preprocessing failure message AND the connect to peer error message. I have done all of the posts included herewith as well as uninstalled - reinstalled several times. Any ideas? I am about to re-partition the boot camp drive.

thanks

ted

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

This can be caused by a Fusion installation problem. Can you reply, attaching the log file from <username>/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion/vmware-fusion.log after the problem has occurred?

The folder will have several log files in it. vmware-fusion.log is the most recent, vmware-fusion-0.log is the next most recent, vmware-fusion-1.log the one before that, and so on.

0 Kudos
TCT
Contributor
Contributor

hey jim the drive was corrupted.

new drive lost eveyrthing

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Corrupted? Were you unable to run the Boot Camp partition natively?

0 Kudos
TCT
Contributor
Contributor

hey jim yea i could boot to the partition but it was VER slow then

Leopard SLOWED WAY DOWN and the system crashed. I took it to a

registered apple shop and they said the MBR has been known to get

progessivley worse (whatever that means) on the larger drives.

I luckily could get the data back and I had a extra macpro that I am

re-rolling as we type.

thanks!

ted

0 Kudos
mmuelver
Contributor
Contributor

I just installed XP SP2 into a Boot Camp partition this morning. Then I installed Office 2007 and had to activate both of them which worked fine when in Boot Camp.

I have a trial of Fusion (looking to purchase it though) and I want to be able to switch back and forth from Boot Camp to Fusion depending on my needs.

When I started up Fusion for the first time it took it a minute to recognize my Boot Camp partition. Once it did it said that it was trying to prepare the partition for use in Fusion but that process eventually failed and I got the same message as the original poster. I was able to boot up from the partition anyway however and once I got it up I installed the VMware Tools. I had to reactivate both Windows and Office 2007, both of which required me to use the telephone activation because they detected "major changes in my hardware". I'm now worried to boot back into Boot Camp as I'm sure MSFT isn't going to like me re-activating all the time.

Are you saying that the VMware Tools will prevent that?

Is the failure to process the Boot Camp partition also the reason that I can't take snapshots? That option is grayed out when I'm running Fusion.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I had to reactivate both Windows and Office 2007, both of which required me to use the telephone activation because they detected "major changes in my hardware". I'm now worried to boot back into Boot Camp as I'm sure MSFT isn't going to like me re-activating all the time.

Are you saying that the VMware Tools will prevent that?

Tools should make Windows itself not ask for further activation, but it does not currently do anything with Office 2007. If you search the forums, WoodyZ has some tips about how to deal with Office activation.

Is the failure to process the Boot Camp partition also the reason that I can't take snapshots? That option is grayed out when I'm running Fusion.

No, that's completely normal. Taking a snapshot (or suspending), booting natively, and then running the virtual machine will probably lead to disk corruption. If you're absolutely sure you (and anyone else using this virtual machine) are not going to do this, you can enable snapshots and suspend by editing the .vmx config file for the Boot Camp partition.

0 Kudos