VMware Communities
Kelkin
Contributor
Contributor

Boot Camp partition preprocessing failed. Can't even open KB2001712

I'm setting up a new MBP for someone and have used VMWare Fusion before, sometimes I'd run into this issue and a reinstall of the software or manually deleting some prefs off the HD and recreating the VM entry would work. This time I can't get anything to work. Here is what happned:

1. I configured the new mac right out of the box

2. I used the boot camp assistant to partition the 500GB drive as follows:

380GB Max OSX

120GB Windows 7 64 Bit

3. I installed Windows 7. The bootcamp partition created by bootcamp was fat32 and Windows (as it should) refused to install to it. I deleted the partition and recreated it as NTFS. Windows instaleld fine, and I have absolutely no problem booting up into it. I can power up using the ALT key and boot into OSX or Windows 7.

The problem is getting VMWare to boot up the bootcamp partition as a VM. On the first attempt I get the error:

Boot Camp partition preprocessing failed.

You may not be able to boot your Boot Camp

partition as a virtual machine.

Then when I try to run the VM I get the error:

Cannot open the disk '/Users/Brandon/Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp/Boot Camp 3.vmwarevm/Boot Camp 3.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Reason : Resource busy.

I've searched the web and the forums but none of the posts seems to address this particular problem. I did try deleting and re-creating the VM entry but to no avail. It looks like there is a KB article for this (2001712) but I can't even open it, it looks like it was removed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'm guessing this has something to do with my deleting the partition rather than just formatting it, though I've done that in the past without a problem; I'd hate to have to re-partition, format, and install Windows all over just for this.

-Keith

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kelkin
Contributor
Contributor

After spending 40 minutes of digging I finally found something which explains the behavior.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1030663

0 Kudos