VMware Communities
larryff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Boot Camp partition not recognized

Fusion 2.0 does not recognize Boot Camp partition. I receive two messages: "No Bootable Device Detected" in the form of a window, and within Fusion the message "PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM. Operating system not found".

I had a previous problem increasing the size of the Boot Camp partition, had to rebuild it and now it is not recognized by Fusion. Boot Camp and Windows XP work just fine if booted from Boot Camp.

Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks, Larry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note: These steps assume you have a Apple Default install of Windows and a Default VMware Fusion Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and if you have modified the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine to add additional Hard Drives either Virtual or RAW Disk then do not use these directions unless you backup the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine Package first.

1. If Fusion is open then close it.

2. In a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) copy and paste the following command, as is without editing it, and then press Enter and it will remove the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine meta data. Note: This does not effect the Boot Camp partition install of Windows. Also be sure you copy the entire command line below from "rm" at the beginning to the " (quote) after the p in Camp. Smiley Happy

rm -dfr "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp"

3. Start Fusion (/Applications/VMware Fusion.app) and select Boot Camp partition on the Virtual Machine Library window and then click the Run button.

Notes: Next, an Authenticate dialog box appears. "VMware Fusion requires that you type your password." Enter your Name and Password then click OK. (This is necessary to unmount the Boot Camp partition for Fusion to have direct access to it.)

Next, one should see a Boot Camp partition message stating "VMware Fusion is preparing your Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine. This may take a few minutes. This will happen once."

When the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine boots for the first time after this VMware Tools may want to or will install/update and reboot the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note: These steps assume you have a Apple Default install of Windows and a Default VMware Fusion Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and if you have modified the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine to add additional Hard Drives either Virtual or RAW Disk then do not use these directions unless you backup the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine Package first.

1. If Fusion is open then close it.

2. In a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) copy and paste the following command, as is without editing it, and then press Enter and it will remove the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine meta data. Note: This does not effect the Boot Camp partition install of Windows. Also be sure you copy the entire command line below from "rm" at the beginning to the " (quote) after the p in Camp. Smiley Happy

rm -dfr "/Users/$/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp"

3. Start Fusion (/Applications/VMware Fusion.app) and select Boot Camp partition on the Virtual Machine Library window and then click the Run button.

Notes: Next, an Authenticate dialog box appears. "VMware Fusion requires that you type your password." Enter your Name and Password then click OK. (This is necessary to unmount the Boot Camp partition for Fusion to have direct access to it.)

Next, one should see a Boot Camp partition message stating "VMware Fusion is preparing your Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine. This may take a few minutes. This will happen once."

When the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine boots for the first time after this VMware Tools may want to or will install/update and reboot the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
larryff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ: Your solution worked great! Thanks, Larry

0 Kudos
larryff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ: I replied online on the forum, but I'm doing it here again to say

thanks for your help!! You nailed it.

Larry

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

WoodyZ: I replied online on the forum, but I'm doing it here again to say thanks for your help!! You nailed it.

Your welcome and just so you know unless a user has turned off receiving email to threads they are participating in an email is sent automatically so I saw your original reply as well as this one as both show in the thread started in the forum. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
rkammeraad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ, thank goodness I stumbled across this thread and found your solution. I wouldn't know why, but it worked beautifully! Thanks so much for lending your expertise to those of us who are much less knowledgeable. It's really appreciated.

0 Kudos
Ferex
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks, I had the same problem and I solved it this way

0 Kudos