VMware Communities
donnas
Contributor
Contributor

Bluetooth keyboard disconnects while running virtual machine

Just setting up a new iMac running High Sierra. All updates installed.  Win 8.1 pro on bootcamp partition.  Installed fusion 10 today and while I can use my bluetooth Magic Mouse successfully on the Mac OS and in the VM, the bluetooth magic keyboard disconnects from Mac when Windows starts up in the VM.  I can use the keyboard in Windows in the VM but it only dings at me when trying to type anything back in the MAC side.  Can't seem to find the settings to correct this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
donnas
Contributor
Contributor

Subsequent findings since original post: 

I was able to go into settings in VMware for the bootcamp disk, click on USB and Bluetooth, and turned off the USB controller.  This now allows me to use the keyboard in both, but now there's no access to the USB ports from the VM. Anything I plug in goes auto to the Mac side of it.

0 Kudos
williamz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Should not disable the USB controller.

Just try: go to USB and Bluetooth setting, find the Magic keyboard device name, click on 'Plug In Action', select Connect to Mac. You can experiment this w/ the Magic Mouse too.

Power off your Boot Camp VM if needed.

0 Kudos
donnas
Contributor
Contributor

When I look in USB and Bluetooth settings (bootcamp running or not) it only shows me the devices currently plugged into the USB ports (apple watch charging station, etc.) It shows neither the bluetooth keyboard nor bluetooth mouse.

If the USB Controller is enabled, I loose the keyboard (not the mouse) connection somewhere in the process of the startup of bootcamp.  I will see the notice "connection lost" along with the keyboard icon.  It is only when I disable the USB controller that I am able to use the keyboard in both Mac and in the VM, but of course I've lost the use of my USB ports in Bootcamp then.

0 Kudos