VMware Communities
stefanolhede
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bluescreen Errors

Dear All,

I run Windows XP HE SP 3 off vmWare Fusion (v. 1.1.1.) on my MacBook Pro, w. 2.6 GHz Processor and a 17" Screen!!

Currently, I am experiencing bluescreen errors about 75% of the times I boot Windows on my virtual machine. These errors started occurring when I uninstalled some Windows Live software on the virtual machine, but have now increased in frequency to the extent that my usage of Fusion has become seriously affected.

Is there any way of rectifying this fault?

Furthermore, and this is less important though if there were a fix to this problem I would really like to know, Windows does not recognize that my iSight Camera exists, and there is no software in XP or on the Microsoft Website that is capable of managing this camera. Where can I find software for Windows that would operate the iSight?

Thank you very much for any help with sorting out these problems!!

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello Steve,

I run Windows XP HE SP 3 off vmWare Fusion (v. 1.1.1.) on my MacBook Pro, w. 2.6 GHz Processor and a 17" Screen!!

just a note, the latest version in 1.1.x series is 1.1.3, you should consider upgrading (no new features, just bug fixes).

Currently, I am experiencing bluescreen errors about 75% of the times I boot Windows on my virtual machine. These errors started occurring when I uninstalled some Windows Live software on the virtual machine, but have now increased in frequency to the extent that my usage of Fusion has become seriously affected.

Well, you need to provide yourself and this forum with more specific information. Go to Control panel > System > Advanced > Startup and recovery > Settings, and uncheck "Automatically restart", and select "Small memory dump" in the popup button in "Write debugging information" section below.

Then the bluescreen stays displayed, and you can take a screenshot of it (e.g. with the the Grab utility in OS X - search for Grab in Spotlight, launch it, then in the menu bar, Capture > Window, and select the Fusion window with the bluescreen). Also, a dump file will be created in your C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Attach both the screenshot and the dump file to post in this thread. Also, try searching these forums for some representative text (usually written in all caps) from the blue screen, you might be able to find a solution.

Furthermore, and this is less important though if there were a fix to this problem I would really like to know, Windows does not recognize that my iSight Camera exists, and there is no software in XP or on the Microsoft Website that is capable of managing this camera. Where can I find software for Windows that would operate the iSight?

Install Boot Camp drivers from the Leopard DVD inside the WIndows VM, if you have not done so yet - the Boot Camp drivers contain Windows driver for the iSight camera, which you need. Then restart Windows, and Virtual Machine > USB > Connect Apple Built-in iSight. Then try to use it with a program, or you should see it in My Computer along your virtual hard disk, and be able to right click it and test it (not sure how it's worded exactly, hope you will be able to figure it out).

Boris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello Steve,

just a note, the latest version in 1.1.x series is 1.1.3, you should consider upgrading (no new features, just bug fixes).

Well, you need to provide yourself and this forum with more specific information. Go to Control panel > System > Advanced > Startup and recovery > Settings, and uncheck "Automatically restart", and select "Small memory dump" in the popup button in "Write debugging information" section below.

Then the bluescreen stays displayed, and you can take a screenshot of it (e.g. with the the Grab utility in OS X - search for Grab in Spotlight, launch it, then in the menu bar, Capture > Window, and select the Fusion window with the bluescreen). Also, a dump file will be created in your C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Attach both the screenshot and the dump file to post in this thread. Also, try searching these forums for some representative text (usually written in all caps) from the blue screen, you might be able to find a solution.

Install Boot Camp drivers from the Leopard DVD inside the WIndows VM, if you have not done so yet - the Boot Camp drivers contain Windows driver for the iSight camera, which you need. Then restart Windows, and Virtual Machine > USB > Connect Apple Built-in iSight. Then try to use it with a program, or you should see it in My Computer along your virtual hard disk, and be able to right click it and test it (not sure how it's worded exactly, hope you will be able to figure it out).

Boris

0 Kudos
stefanolhede
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Boris,

Thank you very much for your help!!

I have now upgraded to Fusion 1.1.3. It appears to work better!!

I have changed the settings on my Windows Control Panel. I have, however, been unable to find the Grab Feature in Spotlight, even after searching for it.

I don't have a Leopard DVD, as my OS came installed on my MacBook HD when I bought it. Can I find the drivers on the Apple or Microsoft Websites?

Merry Yuletide!!!!

Steve

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

I have now upgraded to Fusion 1.1.3. It appears to work better!!

glad to hear that - so the bluescreen errors did not happen again, or just decreased in frequency? (i.e. bluescreen problem solved?)

I have changed the settings on my Windows Control Panel. I have, however, been unable to find the Grab Feature in Spotlight, even after searching for it.

Well, another more deterministic way is to go to Finder, select "Applications" in the left pane, on the right then scroll to "Utilities", expand it and there should be the "Grab" utility. There is also a keyboard shortcut for getting a screenshot of a window, I just don't remember it. However, if the problem is not happening anymore, no need for taking a screenshot.

I don't have a Leopard DVD, as my OS came installed on my MacBook HD when I bought it. Can I find the drivers on the Apple or Microsoft Websites?

You do have then a Leopard install DVD - you must have been provided one for the case when you choose to / have to reinstall the system. Mine came too with OS X preinstalled and came with 2 DVDs in the packaging (roughly one for Leopard, second for iLife) - the Leopard one contains the Windows drivers for your hardware.

Merry Yuletide!!!!

Nice Vánoce to you too! Smiley Happy

Boris

stefanolhede
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you again Boris, for your helpful advice!!!!

No, the bluescreen errors have not ceased, but they have decreased in frequency. (I am currently on holiday in Sweden, but when I go back to Spain I'll try getting the screendump as you suggested!!) I didn't get any Leopard DVDs when I bought the computer, but then I got mine in England, so maybe it's different in the U.S. (maybe my sister could go back to the store where she got it for me.)

Bones Festes (Catalonian for 'Happy Holidays!')

Steve

0 Kudos
luv2skydive
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had this problem with VMware Fusion 2.0.1 and WinXP SP3. I do not recall installing or changing anything prior to the blue screens. I do not believe VMware or WinXP ever crashed until then. The blue screens may have started when upgrading from VMware Fusion 2.0 to 2.0.1, though I applied several WinXP updates during the same time period. To fix the problem, I restored an old backup of my virtual machine. I have not received any blue screens for about one week. Obviously, this solution is less desirable.

I have not had any problems with my Linux virtual machine, just WinXP.

stefanolhede
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Boris,

I am now back to my MacBook Pro, in Spain. I have found the 'Grab' Utility on the Mac, and the Minidump on the PC, and I am including the information retrieved using them in this reply.

Can you get drivers for the iSight Camera from the Apple or Microsoft Websites, as I do not have the Leopard DVD and it did not come with the computer?

Happy New Year!!!!

Steve

0 Kudos
stefanolhede
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear Boris,

I am now back to my MacBook Pro, in Spain. I have found the 'Grab' Utility on the Mac, and the Minidump on the PC, and I am including the information retrieved using them in this reply.

Can you get drivers for the iSight Camera from the Apple or Microsoft Websites, as I do not have the Leopard DVD and it did not come with the computer?

Happy New Year!!!!

Steve

P.S. For some reason I encountered a Serious System Error when trying to attach the Bluescreen Error tiff and Minidump dmp files to this entry! That is why this is a duplicate, as I tried twice at first without success, after which I logged out and then back in again to the Community, and then succeeded in attaching the tiff file but not the dmp – I will try one last time.

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

P.S. For some reason I encountered a Serious System Error when trying to attach the Bluescreen Error tiff and Minidump dmp files to this entry! That is why this is a duplicate, as I tried twice at first without success, after which I logged out and then back in again to the Community, and then succeeded in attaching the tiff file but not the dmp – I will try one last time.

try compressing the dump - copy it to a shared folder, right click it in Mac OS X, select "Compress", and it will create a zip file, which you can attach and hopefully that one will get through (I sometimes fight with attachments in this forum myself).

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello Steve,

no, Apple wants Boot Camp to be a Leopard-only feature (i.e. not available to Tiger users), so you can only find it on a Leopard. You should really ask your supplier what they did with your Leopard DVD Smiley Happy (not only because of iSight, but what if your machine gets screwed up so that you have to reinstall the system? Will you go out and buy Leopard for $130 when you had to get it with your computer because you already paid for it in the computer's price?)

Happy New Year!!!!

Happy new year to you too Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello Steve,

I could not find anything on 000000c5 BSOD in VMware's forums (Fusion + Workstation). Reading other sites, it showed that it is lots of times caused by a faulty driver, so I would suggest you try reinstalling VMware Tools:

1. Start the Windows VM

2. Fusion menubar > Virtual machines > Install VMware Tools

3. In the VMware Tools wizard, select "Remove" and finish the removal of the tools.

4. Reboot the Windows (you will probably be promted to do so) - don't suspend and resume, but really do go to the Start menu and restart Windows just like on a real Windows PC

5. When you are done and Windows is finished booting, again Fusion menubar > Virtual machines > Install VMware Tools

6. In the wizard, select the typical configuration and finish the installation.

7. Reboot Windows again

Now let's see if it the BSOD will occur again.

Also, could you tell us if you installed any special software or drivers in the VM?

Cheers,

Boris

0 Kudos
stefanolhede
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hullo Boris,

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled VMware Tools, just as you instructed. The bluescreen errors have subsided somewhat, but are still frequent.

They initially started occurring when I had uninstalled some Microsoft Windows Live Software (I think it was something for publishing web content on one's blog, and it was definitely the piece of Windows Live Software which introduces a search field in the Windows Menue Bar in the bottom of the screen, and which I wanted to get rid of because it clogged up most of that menue bar and forced the windows into window groups before 2 or 3 had opened.)

An error I initially encountered when I had just installed Fusion and Windows, was that when I had upgraded from XP SP 2 to SP 3 without having used the virtual computer for that long, I couldn't install any Microsoft Software or Upgrades, or any Norton 360 Upgrades. I found a fix on this website, as detailed below, which worked wonders. Do you think I could apply the same fix again, and it would remedy the bluescreen errors?

'Have you tried the following... In a Command Prompt window ((Start > All Programs (or Programs) > Accessories > Command Prompt) type the following commands and press Enter after each the clock OK to the ensuing message box making note if it failed or succeeded.

First in a Command Prompt type: CD %SystemRoot%\system32

Then type the following:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 wups2.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Now try Windows Update again and see what happens.' Courtesy of WoodyZ on 30 December 2007

This was suggested for somebody with Windows XP Professional, whereas I have HE, but it worked on HE too. Do you think it could take away the bluescreen errors as well?

I also enclose screendumps of the most recent errors!!

V. Kind Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
stefanolhede
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hullo Boris,

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled VMware Tools, just as you instructed. The bluescreen errors have subsided somewhat, but are still frequent.

They initially started occurring when I had uninstalled some Microsoft Windows Live Software (I think it was something for publishing web content on one's blog, and it was definitely the piece of Windows Live Software which introduces a search field in the Windows Menue Bar in the bottom of the screen, and which I wanted to get rid of because it clogged up most of that menue bar and forced the windows into window groups before 2 or 3 had opened.)

An error I initially encountered when I had just installed Fusion and Windows, was that when I had upgraded from XP SP 2 to SP 3 without having used the virtual computer for that long, I couldn't install any Microsoft Software or Upgrades, or any Norton 360 Upgrades. I found a fix on this website, as detailed below, which worked wonders. Do you think I could apply the same fix again, and it would remedy the bluescreen errors?

'Have you tried the following... In a Command Prompt window ((Start > All Programs (or Programs) > Accessories > Command Prompt) type the following commands and press Enter after each the clock OK to the ensuing message box making note if it failed or succeeded.

First in a Command Prompt type: CD %SystemRoot%\system32

Then type the following:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 wups2.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Now try Windows Update again and see what happens.' Courtesy of WoodyZ on 30 December 2007

This was suggested for somebody with Windows XP Professional, whereas I have HE, but it worked on HE too. Do you think it could take away the bluescreen errors as well?

I also enclose screenshots and minidumps (in zip format) of the most recent errors!!

V. Kind Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
stefanolhede
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here are the other two minidump files (in zip format.)

Steve

0 Kudos
stefanolhede
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear luv2skydive,

Thank you for your reply!!!!

I may apply this fix, but I'll try the other one mentioned below, ie. registering the dll's, first, to see if it has any effect.

Take Care,

Steve

0 Kudos
stefanolhede
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dear luv2skydive,

Thank you for your suggested fix!!!! In the end it was what finally worked, and it resolved the problem completely.

Best Regards,

Steve

0 Kudos