VMware Communities
usmkehnc
Contributor
Contributor

Blue Screen and cycling restarts of Boot Camp VM

Greetings all,

I have a running install of Windows XP Boot Camp on my 20" iMac and it works without any problems. I have attempted to run VMWare, (and Parrallels for that matter) and I get nothing but a Blue Screen of death and a restart in Windows XP. I have the files in the win32 folder and have tried the small reg file as well. Although it would probably work I really don't feel like installing Windows again , it would be great if I could get VMware to successfully open my Boot Camp Partition. On a side note, while digging for the attached .log file, I noticed I have several. Is that normal?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

0 Kudos
17 Replies
vastslug
Contributor
Contributor

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/110688?tstart=15

Sounds like the same issue i'm having 😐

I've not tried jim.gill's solution (towards the bottom) yet. I'm hoping to try on Monday - our VPN server is down this weekend so I can't access the Mac test lab to....test.

0 Kudos
usmkehnc
Contributor
Contributor

Those are the things that I have tried. There is no change in the results.

0 Kudos
vastslug
Contributor
Contributor

What do you get if you'sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0 in Terminal?

Just out of interest?

0 Kudos
usmkehnc
Contributor
Contributor

This is what I get:

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Then the message in the attached terminal capture. I tried to paste it directly, but there must be some HTML commands in it and it looked different.

0 Kudos
vastslug
Contributor
Contributor

Looks the same as mine....

From memory it looks different on a machine that works....

I will try and test tomorrow.. With any luck this issue should be easy enough to sort out...

0 Kudos
vastslug
Contributor
Contributor

Sorted...

In the config file for the boot camp VM (Boot Camp parition.vmx) I set the setting scsi0.present to "FALSE". It was set to "TRUE"...

0 Kudos
usmkehnc
Contributor
Contributor

How do I edit that?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
usmkehnc
Contributor
Contributor

I think I was able to edit that file in Text Editor. I simply changed TRUE to FALSE and saved it. I still get a BSOD.

0 Kudos
vastslug
Contributor
Contributor

okay....

From memory (will check tomorrow)

In the Library folder (for your user profile) > Application Support > VMware > boot camp > > bootcamp (not the helper)

you will see the bootcamp.vmx file. Open this (back it up first) with textedit and towards the top you will see the scsi0.present line... Change the value to FALSE, save and re-launch Fusion. Boot camp should work - if you have the same issue I had.

I've tried this on several machines and it works...

If it works, post on here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/110688

Cheers...

0 Kudos
vastslug
Contributor
Contributor

Does your boot camp partition still work outside of OS X?

Try deleting the Boot Camp folder from your Library > Application Support > VMware

Run Fusion again, let it detect and configure the boot camp partition then edit the vmx file again..

0 Kudos
usmkehnc
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, my boot camp partion works outside of OSX. I will try deleting the Boot Camp folder and then the edit tonight. Thanks. Has anyone figured out why VMware is setting the SCSI to TRUE?

0 Kudos
usmkehnc
Contributor
Contributor

Still can't get past the BSOD with Boot Camp Partition selected as the virtual machine. When I boot to windows in boot camp, after attempting to start the bootcamp partition as a virtual machine, I get the "windows was not properly started" screen and the keyboard doesn't work to select anything other than "Start Windows Normally". After the 25 seconds is up, Windows starts and works fine. I'm typing this in Boot Camp right now. I installed XP on a new virtual machine, but I still don't really want to reinstall the programs and things I have in the Boot Camp partition to the one I just created.

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Fusion 1.0 can have a problem if the size of the registry in your Boot Camp partition exceeds 60 MB. We can check that: open Windows Explorer to c:\windows\system32\config. If the size of the two files "software" and "system" are approaching 60 MB, this could be the thing that prevents Fusion from completing preprocessing.

In the folder <you>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm (that last part is a package, so you'll have to right-click and select "Show Package Contents") is a file name vmware.log. This has the results of Fusion trying to set up your partition.

Could you post that logfile, please?

0 Kudos
usmkehnc
Contributor
Contributor

Jim, I posted the log file in the first post, but I have more than one I have vmware-0.log and vmware-2.log as well. Is that normal? I've attached all three.

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Thanks for posting. The vmware.log file is always the most recent. vmware-0.log preserves the run before that, vmware-1.log the one before vmware-0.log, and so on through vmware-9.log (they shuffle along each time you run a virtual machine).

According to the log, Fusion thinks it has properly adapted your Boot Camp partition to run as a virtual machine. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

Are you running XP Service Pack 2? Was there anything unusual about it (i.e., did you or someone in your organization build a custom, slipstreamed installation disk for XP)?

Microsoft has a KB Article about moving the hard disk to another computer and dealing with the Stop 7B BSOD: . The applicable section is "A 'Stop 0x0000007B" error message occurs after you move the system disk to another computer". The "Additional information" may apply to you, but I strongly recommend taking a backup before attempting anything in the KB article.

usmkehnc
Contributor
Contributor

Jim, Thanks for the reply. My Boot Camp install wasn't from a normal disc. I installed the programs and USB devices that I wanted to be able to use in a VMware install of Windows XP and it did everything I wanted it to do. If I delete, and then reinstall my Boot Camp Partition using an official windows install disc, I should then, theorhetically, be able to connect to my Boot Camp Partion through VMware and only have one install of Windows on my machine? That way if I need to boot natively for an application I can do that, and for my normal use I can get to the Boot Camp Partition through VMware? BTW, the drag and drop from OSX to Windoze is a great feature.

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Well, installing from an official Windows disk is what most people do, and those Boot Camp partitions run under Fusion for almost everybody. I hate to make you reinstall Windows, but if you do, please be sure to get Service Pack 2 and the post-SP2 updates before installing the Apple drivers and running it in a virtual machine. If you take this route, you'll want to force the new Windows partition to be prepped for Fusion by deleting the folder <yourhome>/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines. Deleting this parent folder deletes both the pseudo-VM representing your Boot Camp partition and the helper appliance that preps it; Fusion will recreate both.

I've recently seen a problem in-house where a Boot Camp partition that was running a pre-SP2 version of intelide.sys failed with a BSOD when run as a virtual machine. The version from Windows XP no-service-pack, which does not work in a VM, is intelide.sys, 4608 bytes, dated Aug 17 2001, version 5.1.2600.0. The one from Service Pack 2, which you want, is intelide.sys, 5504 bytes, dated Aug 4 2004, version 5.1.2600.2180.

If the version of intelide.sys -- you'll find it in c:\windows\system32\drivers -- differs from the 5.1.2600.2180 version, you can probably get your partition running by replacing that file with the Fusion-compatible version taken from another machine, and not have to reinstall. Apple is somewhat insistent on SP2 in the Boot Camp partition but custom installs might need to be detected. I understand how frustrating this can be.

0 Kudos