VMware Communities
bluckie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Black screen

Windows 7 starts normally, displays the Welcome screen and then the whole window is black. Desktop icons and task bar are displayed. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried changing the Theme or Background Picture?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

bluckie wrote: Windows 7 starts normally, displays the Welcome screen and then the whole window is black. Desktop icons and task bar are displayed. Any suggestions?

If the Desktop icons/shortcuts and Taskbar are showing then this sounds more like a Windows issue then a VMware Fusion issue per se.  I've seen this behavior when there was a problem with the Activation status or when a setting in Control Panel > Ease of Access > Make the computer easier to see > Remove background images (where available) is checked.

0 Kudos
bluckie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, there was a problem with activation and I did the telephone activation which went OK. I looked at the CP setting you mentioned, but it was not checked. Is my copy of Windows hosed?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you tried changing the Theme or Background Picture?

0 Kudos
Gkeerthy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

May be the use profile is corrupted, can try to delete the current user profile by using any rescue CD and see if this works.

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful. (vExpert, VCP-Cloud. VCAP5-DCD, VCP4, VCP5, MCSE, MCITP)
0 Kudos
bluckie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Changed the theme and problem solved. Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos